uTorrent built-in tracker - what's registered on it?

devy

Hello.

I'm trying to understand how the built-in tracker works. I have a 100 private torrents active that are only registered on other external trackers on the Internet. I turn on the built-in tracker and create a new torrent with localhost and my external IP as trackers. Will it be only this torrent that is registered on the built-in tracker or will all my active torrents be registered?

Ok thanks for the quick reply =)

Is it the Client part of uTorrent that registers it with the built-in tracker when I start seeding it? If so, can other clients register torrents on the built-in tracker if they know the ip:port?

If so, can other clients register torrents on the built-in tracker if they know the ip:port?

I'm pretty sure the following answers that

It will potentially track any torrent, regardless of whether or not you have the torrent loaded in your client.

It will accept ANY torrent requested, so yes, if they know the IP:Port of your internal tracker, they could potentially get your client added to one of those monolithic tracker lists, and effectively DDoS you off the internet.

It will accept ANY torrent requested, so yes, if they know the IP:Port of your internal tracker, they could potentially get your client added to one of those monolithic tracker lists, and effectively DDoS you off the internet.

I don't know what you mean with "monolithic tracker lists", is that a joke or a real thing? :) I'm new to the torrent protocol so I wasn't even sure that it's the client that register torrents. In the past I uploaded the .torrent file to trackers via a website, but I guess that's just a thing that some private trackers use for security.

I would like to understand this better, especially the security parts. Is http://www.bittorrent.org the best place to start?

Archived