Is this a ratio bug?

AxelA

I uploaded a torrent to a private tracker. I filled in "start seeding" when I created the torrent but nothing happened, all thou there was severall leechers. After a while I downloaded my own torrent, µtorrent started to check that I allready got the file and then started to seed.

Yes good, but µtorrent started on 0 ratio, should be 1. Thats why I uploaded, to get some ratio, the tracker is real anal about this. Is this a bug or just my usuall karma?

Some one else who have experienced this?

So you mean that if I upload a torrent I shall first seed the same amount as the torrent size before I will be recognized as a seeder?

I don't know if this is of any use, but this is what I get after upload:

"Successfully uploaded!

You can start seeding now. D Note that the torrent won't be visible until you do that!

Now Download the torrent file from our site to seed"

OK, DreadWingKnight, thanks for your fast reply.

Is it the bittorrent protocol that determance this?

I mean, if I upload a file wich I have on my HDD I would like to be recognized as a seeder as soon as I upload.

This seems to be the most logical to me.

The tracker I am on is only one or two peers so it really matters to me.

Mabye I shouldn't download my own file?

I don't know if this is of any use, but this is what I get after upload:

"Successfully uploaded!

This just means you've uploaded the torrent file itself, not the content to which the torrent refers.

You always start at ratio 0. Usually, in order to get a positive ratio, you need to download something first, and then upload it to other peers. However, this means that immediately, you've got a 'negative balance'. So for example, you download a 100Mb torrent, you'd have to upload 100Mb to get back to a ratio of 1.

However, if you upload a new torrent, you'll still start at zero ratio, but anyone who downloads that torrent from you will be adding to your ratio without you having had to take the initial hit of downloading the file first. So you'll get a positive ratio straight away.

You wouldn't download your own file - in order for you to seed it, you have to have the torrent 'pointing' to the copy from which you created the .torrent file. Your client would then see you already have 100% of the file, which is how it knows to seed (upload) it, rather than begin downloading it.

Archived