Vista and UPnP

ApatchDotTk

I searched the forum but couldn't find anything..

uTorrent fails to automatically map the port on my router while using Vista, resulting in not being "connectable" (and a constant yellow network circle).

Using Windows XP SP2 I had no problems with the port mapping.

Is this a bug or is there a fix? Thanks.

I believe Vista has a bit more security....

Why would you install the beta?

I can see why people would want to try it out, however installing on a machine you use to download... not really smart.

Anywho try manualy portforwarding. www.portforward.com

You have to change the settings of your router.

Dont let UPnP do everything for you.

I thought UPnP wouldnt work in Vista, being XP only and all :P

ohh well, don't care about vista here anyhow :P

u should always manual portforward to be secure it's going to work anyway, so just open ports manually, u should be able to do so with the site Kurz posted

• 2 weeks later...

All OSes? So you have tested with Vista? If so i'd be interested to know how you set Vista up, i've been hunting around for some settings now for about an hour and I haven't managed to get uTorrent (1.6.474) to map a port via uPnp in the latest Vista build (5456, i know this is only for beta testing, so i'd be interested if you know it works for certain on the beta2 release) as i never tried it on that.

--

bedrock

I didn't want to post in the main uPnP thread, as i believe this is a Vista problem rather than a general uPnP problem.

If i am running in XP SP2, then 1.6 work flawlessly with my router and uPnP.

In Vista 5456, all i see in the logger tab is:

[15:20:46] Unable to map UPnP Port.

Nothing else is displayed in Vista...

--

bedrock

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using utorrent 1.6 and Windows Vista beta 5384 and uPnP doesn't work for me either. I'm not sure if this is a Vista thing through as this PC multi boots three OS's - two Window XP Pro and one Vista and utorrent and uPnP has only ever worked with one of the XP's anyway. It is a clean install of Vista though. I've run ethereal to try and see if there is a uPnP discover packet being sent but there definitely isn't.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

*bump*

I have worked out the problem on 2 of my vista machines now and it worked.

Process is as follows:

1. Shut down uTorrent if it is running, make sure it is completely closed not just minimised.

2. Go to Nework and Sharing Centre -> make sure network discovery is turned on.

3. Go to computer management (rigt-click on 'computer' and select 'manage'.

4. Click the arrow next to Services and Applications -> click on 'Services'

5. Scroll down the list until you find 'SSDP Discovery' -> right-click and go to 'Properties' then click on the 'Stop' button to stop the service and then from the drop down box select 'Disabed'.

6. Scroll down the list again and now find 'UPnP Device Host' -> right-click and go to 'Properties' then click on the 'Stop' button to stop the service and then from the drop down box select 'Disabed'.

7. Start up uTorrent now and go to the Logger tab and check to see if the port was mapped successfully.

This process worked on both my Vista Business laptop and my Vista Ultimate desktop successfully and uTorrent now works properly.

Good luck.

Disabling the services required to get this to work may cause problems with network media streaming devices and other applications (possibly consoles too) that need these services running, if these devices stop working after using this process, go back and enable the services again and just forward the ports manually.

• 5 months later...

Archived