tcpip.sys

wendy

i was reading through the faq and i came across this tcpip.sys patch i applyed it and set it to 50 as it was the default setting in the patch. im wondering and i have a few questions.

BEFORE IT WAS AT 10 SHOULD I CANGE IT BACK TO 10?

1. wht dose it do if i change it to 50 or should i change it to somthing else?

2. what dose the patch do dose it increase the download speed or somthing cause my avarage speed is 300 if im downloading anime, should i have done it?

3. i also got a windows message saying that somthing has changed and to insert the windows cd is that normal?

4. just so i know is there a way to restore it to the default?

1. http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=57177#p57177

2. No, it doesn't increase speed, only the rate of connection (might not even do that depending on the torrent). If you're having trouble with your internet connection getting killed while using µTorrent, you'll want to patch this to see if it helps.

3. Yes it's normal. Click cancel and confirm.

4. Run the patch again and set it back to 10.

ok thankyou i have changed it to 100 and in µTorrent i change net.max_halfopen to 70 is that ok?

should we reapply if there is another windows update?

nerver has connection problem with anyprogram before but i did it anyways :) :):):):)

another questions by increaseing it to 100 is it a sercrity risk? i only have windows firewall

MS would have you believe so, claiming that allowing a large amount of half-open connections speeds worm propagation. It's bull.

With more than 70% of all broadband connections being firewalled, worm propigation is much slower than it was just a couple years earlier.

Worms getting into corporate intranets, and infecting many of the computers on the other side of their internet gateway is a bigger threat. And a half-open connection limit likely won't apply, as the "smart" worms are reusing existing connections rather than trying random ips.

Even if it's not really a security risk, I wouldn't bother increasing it too much past 100, as most applications (even running simultaneously with others) wouldn't need that much. Anything that does more than that raises a red flag in my books, and if it's a legitimate application, the author needs to rewrite it to be more efficient.

The amount of really crappy networking hardware out there is another reason to not go hog-wild with high connection rates. Push poor hardware too hard, and they'll invent new errors and ways to crash.

It's a personal rant of mine that many people believe file-sharing programs "need" 50 connections at once to work correctly and to "get the most out of them" needs 100's.

Some ISPs have given up trying to packet-sniff the improving encryption methods file-sharing programs use, but still have no problem throttling people's lines when they see 100's of connections going in+out.

Microsoft's auto-limiting of 10 half-open connections is dangerously close to them deciding how you can and cannot use your computer. ...especially if it improves their profit margins.

Not really. It doesn't work at all with XP Media Center Edition. On various forums I've seen people complaining about the patch causing problems. That patch has become a personal pet peeve of mine. As its treated as a miracle cure all instead of people learning to configure their network settings, firewalls, and most of all their routers. Half the posts for help I see are from people who installed it and then saw that it didn't do anything or it caused more trouble because their routers and/or ISP sucked on top of it. And most people don't even understand how the limit works anyway, not to mention that it doesn't hinder DHT.

Of course it wouldn't surprise me that some of the updates to windows purposely wouldn't work with that patch. And that patch being over a year old doesn't help either.

like i said before i can upload another tcpip.sys patch from bitspirit for the guys that are having trouble with lvllord's patch or you can just get it yourself. might sovle the error you get with xp media, not sure but you can give it a try

What Dark Shroud meant was that theirs is probably just a frontend for lvllord's patch. It's possible to hide the command line window if they wanted. Of course, I myself am not sure if this is the case, but I'm just explaining Dark Shroud's POV.

Exactly, I guess I should have been more clear about that. Those guys at BitSpirit are good at making new GUIs.

Wendy, what I mean by the GUI commet is that BitSpirit is a very old version of BitComet, 0.59 if I'm correct, with a new Graphical User Interface. So it would be no surprise to anyone that they just ripped that tcpip.sys mod off from someone.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived