v3.3 "stable": FROZEN UI and BROKEN sidebar

deleted.account

- uTorrent 3.3.29038 (latest stable release at the time of the post. No beta versions available at the time of the post)

- Windows 8 64-bit

Yesterday I updated from uTorrent 3.2.2.28595 to version 3.3.29038, and experienced 2 major problems:

1) The sidebar did not react to any mouseclicks at all. In fact, I was not able to exit the "Get Started" guide in any other way than restarting uTorrent. Restarting got me back to normal "Torrents"-page-view, but the sidebar would still not react to any mouse clicks.

See the screenshot for my sidebar setup, might that be of any help:

Sz7LJx9s.png

2) GUI on the "Torrents" section was not updating! It was stuck like a dead screenshot not showing any updates in speed/connections/status/etc, while the torrents were successfully downloading and uploading.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By taking a quick look at the Bug Reports section of this forum, it is obvious there are a lot of people experiencing same (or simialr) problems, not speaking of many more bugs in version 3.3.

I am wondering how bugs like these can make it to the "stable" version, and how come there is still no update fixing those issues?

I am also wondering, how come there are many moderate-to-very-annoying bugs in uTorrent that have been reported multiple times by many people here on this forum (like dozens of "disk-overload-100%" and related issues, or the "Trackers"-column not updating until program restart), yet some of them are not fixed for several years (bugs I gave as example exist for over 2 and over 1 years respectively). I would like to get a comment on that as well. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same bug 1 (sidebar not working), but not the bug 2.

I have 3.3 build 29082 and am running Windows 8.

Also, I was hoping I would somehow magically return to the old torrent-view by clicking on some random options, such as "Explore apps" or "Send files to friends and family" (still on the "Get Started" page), but whenever I do, uTorrent will spam many facebook- and twitter-tabs on my browser.

I am not happy with this. uTorrent used to be a nice torrent client, now it's become a nice adware.

Time to look for yet another torrent client, I guess...

I am not happy with this. uTorrent used to be a nice torrent client, now it's become a nice adware.

Best of luck in finding one that has less or no advertising. Or for that matter one that allows and INFORMS the end user of how they can turn the advertising OFF.

Did not understand your comment.

I guess you have installed the optional sponsor package alongside uTorrent (which you cannot blame on uTorrent), and all the ads inside uTorrent itself can be turned off either by right-clicking them or in advanced settings. Having said those two things, I cannot agree with you about uTorrent becoming "a nice adware". Very little programs out there allow you to actually turn off their own ads in their own settings!

The thing that really worries me, though, is the overall quality of uTorrent itself -- I sincerely cannot imagine how it is possible to release "stable" versions with critical bugs like the one described in this post. Not to forget that some major bugs remain unfixed for years.

Archived