Trouble with Magnet Links

ggurman

Recently I've been having trouble with magnet links. I've checked out several posts on this forum with related topics, but none of them seem to have the same problem I have and none of the suggested solutions have worked for me.

i'm using a laptop running Windows XP. As I implied, magnet links have worked fine for me until recently. I believe things changed after a uTorrent update, but I'm not sure. After reading one of the threads here, I checked the registry and found that the ".../open/command" setting for magnets seemed to be set to the download flie for Torrent.exe instead of the install file, so I fixed that, but that didn't help.

Any idea what i can do to get magnets working again?

Okay, I installed that program and it does seem to show that the process is pointing to the right install file. Also, I should mention that I am using an RSS feed with "Automatically download..." checked and that is working. Also, if I download a torrent the ordinary way without using a magnet link, that works too. It's just magnets that don't work.

That was a good question. Apparently it works with Firefox, but doesn't work with Chrome. So what is it about Chrome that is making it not work? Any ideas?

Update: I disabled all my extensions and it worked, so I added each extension back and, by golly, even with all of them added back it still worked. Maybe just disabling them all cleaned something out. Who knows. In any case, it's working again.

Thanks very much for walking me through this to help me solve this problem (even if it still holds a little mystery).

Archived