Additional Seeding Rules

JigPu

The only feature that I miss having come from Azureus is the flexibility of (post seeding goal) seeding rules.

The ability for me to "concentrate" my seeding on more needy torrents would be very handy to have. For example, I have Azureus set to prefer seeding of torrents based on the Peers:Seed ratio, and to not seed (unless my upload bandwidth isn't being used anyway) torrents with tons of seeds or a high Seed:Peer ratio once they have passed the 1.5:1 share ratio.

uTorrent has the equivlant of Azureus' "First Priority" settings (forces seeds to complete until a ratio or elapsed time is hit, which nearly every torrent client have), but the addition of some of the "Auto Starting" and "Ignore Rules" would be welcome. This would allow me to spend less time/bandwidth seeding gigantic torrents (where in the grand scheme of things 2:1 isn't all that much better than 1.5:1) and more on smaller needy torrents (where 2:1 is MUCH more benificial than 1.5:1 for the other peers)

JigPu

µTorrent already has other rules that come into play, beyond the priority configuration screen.

priority seeds go before normal seeds.

Within those two types, torrents with no seeds, but have peers waiting, get picked first, and seed until there is at least another seeder.

Once all torrents meet that condition, then it seeds based on your share ratio, lowest ratio first.

If a torrent has no peers, those are chosen last. No point seeding when no peers want anything, but if you don't have anything else to do, then it'll cycle through those just to show some activity on those torrents.

-- Smoovious

I was just hoping for a bit more flexibility in the rules. Seeding those torrents without seeds is a definate priority, though I would consider those with 5 seeds to be a priority over those with 100. My upload bandwidth isn't huge, and I just want to see it go to the best use possible by preferring all small torrents over large (not just those completely devoid of seeds). Either including Azureus-like options to tweak just how uTorrent perfers seeding or making the existing rule more generic (for example, change "prioritize 0-seed torrents" to "prioritize torrents based on number of seeds") would be welcome.

As far as bandwidth allocation, it works alright, but is a bit too hands-on for my liking. Sure I can set already-small torrents to high priority, but I'll have to keep an eye on large ones for when they eventually dwindle down (as often happens on anime torrents the further back in time the episode occured).

JigPu

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Is it settled that seed priorities will be henceforth invisible in utorrent? Why not have a default setting that can be overridden by a power user? Or, alternatively, why not use the Azureus solution of having more settings for sophisticated users and fewer settings for unsophisicated ones?

Archived