Upgraded to utorrent 1.7.6 - internet stops

cunparis

I've been using utorrent successfully for a couple years now. Today, I clicked on the choice to upgrade to 1.7.6. I did not change anything else on my system. My computer gets all its connections used and then I have to exit utorrent and wait approximately 5 minutes for the connections to finally time out and get closed before I can use the internet (firefox, etc.).

I've reduced my connections from 800 to 500 and I've followed the other advice in the troubleshooting section (turned off the DH and whatever else there was, set my net.half thing to 4 instead of 8, etc. Didn't change anything. As soon as I start a torrent my computer's connections fill up and I can't access the net. All other pc's on the network work fine so I do not think it's the router. And as I said, nothing has changed on my computer. I have not even installed a windows update.

Is something wrong? What can I do?

PS: putting connections to 50 doesn't work. I think this version is not closing connections properly.

PSS: I'm running Vista 32 Basic.

Tried almost everything there including uninstalling utorrent and rebooting and installing 1.7.5. Weird. Maybe it's just a coincidence that it stopped working the day I did the upgrade to 1.7.6 but I can't figure it out. I changed the port number and that didn't matter either. Activated encryption, same. Either my ISP is screwing with me or something really strange is going on.

DreadWingKnight - if I'm the only one with the problem then I would try to assemble all the information requested. But from the looks of the thread linked above, I'm not the only one. I've been using this for over a year, and nothing changed except 1.7.6!

For me it's simple, as soon as I start one torrent, none of my other applications get internet. When I stop the torrent, it takes 3-4 minutes before I get internet in my other apps. I think utorrent is taking up all the connections, I see them with netstat -a. Then after 3-4 minutes they time out.

I will add that it's only the internet that stops. My local LAN works and I can also access my router. It's just the internet that doesn't work and I don't have a proxy. Very strange!

I'm trying Azeureus out in the meantime..

I've been using this for over a year, and nothing changed except 1.7.6!

Software firewalls go stupid on program updates.

Claiming this is all the same problem is NOT correct.

If 100% of users were having the problem, I'd believe that it were a problem in 1.7.6

As it stands right now, it is looking a LOT like configuration-specific issues.

Refusal to post requested information is declining support.

I agree with you dreadknight, I just didn't have time to do all the troubleshooting and provide all the information. I was sure others would have the same problem.

I just installed uTorrent 1.8 alpha and it seems to be working perfectly. So for me it's not an issue any longer. I encourage anyone else with this problem to try 1.8.

Thanks dreadknight for your help.

Archived