Vista Users Need Help! (I think?)

toooch

ever since i switched to vista my download speed is very low compared to the speed i used to get in xp :(

my port is forwarded, i'm trying to download torrents with lots of seeds, my preferences are all the same as the preferences i used in xp.

i'm sure the problem is about vista.. i tried to patch things up by following "optimize vista for p2p" kind of tutorials and i recommend noone to try those because they're really making things worse and your computer will go mad like mine and you'll probably end up formatting your computer.. one example tutorial i'm talking about is this

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/855519/how_to_hack_microsoft_vista_to_optimize_p2p_applications/

if you're really curious try but i wont recommend!

also in some sites it says to set net max halfopen connections to 50 and somesites says reduce it to 4.. i'm confused..

ANYWAYS I LOOKED AT LOTS OF SITES AND MOST PEOPLE USING VISTA EXPERIENCES VERY SLOW DOWNLOADS SO WE, VISTA USERS NEED URGENT HELP! THANK YOU!

There is a big problem and it's been going on for a few months now. You do however get plenty of 'help' in the form of

your posting in the wrong thread

your settings are wrong

follow these 3 year old links

try this link

You can spend days trolling all of these indexes and go around in ever increasing circles. yes there is a great deal of help availlable, but mostly for the simplest of tasks, any positive constructive help you need will have to done through your own trial and error investigations. There are a few posts in the forums from people who have tried everything more than once from all of the suggested links and still have the problems or get an answer (not a solution) from an irate moderator, more respect would be given from those who say 'sorry, there really doesnt seem to be a solution to your problem' rather than 'your doing something wrong' tell us please what that something is, all of the ones i've seen with this sort of 'help' have provided as much info as possible but after providing it there doesnt seem to be anyone who is either willing or able to provide a solution. There really is no other solution to this 1.8 issue and vista other than to switch to something else such as Halite, still in its infancy, but worth a go.

I have tried each and every tweek, suggestion from the plain to the rediculous and even went so far as doing a complete re-install of vista. My advertised speed is 8Mb, what I get is 3.2Mb consistantly and the highest download speed I have had for the past few weeks is 11kB down and 34kB up and at worste 0.5kB up and 4kB down with all of the optimum suggested settings from the moderators links

Sayonara utorrent, you served us well, but time to move on to one without a hidden agenda

I'm totally agreeing with you but creating a thread was actually my last hope of getting utorrent work like it should again. Because I've done a lot of thread reading, googling and messing up my computer while changing important settings or patching stuff which ougth to somehow make utorrent fast again according to some peoples experiences, I knew posting here a topic won't really take me somewhere but I'm hopelessly hoping that it will.

Have you tried halite yet? Because i tried some other clients like bitcomet and they are like utorrent too, the are very slow in vista. (and what do you exactly mean by hidden agenda.. my english is not very good)

Have tried halite, but not extensively, in the process of giving it an overnight use to see how it goes, very basic GUI and not too difficult to set up, but the jury is still out.

hidden agenda? Utorrent is now part of Bittorrent inc who have links to MPAA. There is alot of paranoia, but is it all unfounded? plenty of threads in google or one link:

http://forums.phoenixlabs.org/t12995-bittorent-and-torrentsome-ips-blocked-in-sourceforge-p2pbts-level-1-list.html

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31707

one line i've seen a few times is:

Those of you that will still use µTorrent may not see many problems at all. So, again, do your homework, find out the Facts, and decide for yourself whether or not you might be jeopardizing your safety if you use µTorrent.

speed currently maxing out on halite at 320kB for the past 2hrs, previous to that utorrent 1.8.1 not going above 3kb. Going to try utorrent for the next 2hrs to compare.

have tried various tweeks to the point of a clean install of vista and being blinded by the results or lack of, have tried half open limit fix 2.6, tried various max half open settings from 1 through to 50 over the past few weeks, tried various setting modes with this. I have read and re-read hundreds of posts and the links provided and followed the instructions to the letter. All I can conclude from this is that going from 1.8 beta to 1.8 stable has some effect on my pc configuration that is making it incompatible, as crazy as that sounds I have no other explanation. I have tried going back to previous versions, but all have the same results. I know i'm not alone in this and i'm not so naiive as to think everyone is having the same problems, but I am not a noob and have been using torrents for quite a few years and utorrent since its inception and flew the flag for it to everyone I know that it was the future of bit torrents. Time will tell

been getting the latest build from the download page, was until yesterday using the windows firewall, installed Comodo and set global and application rules to allow all requests TCP and although not needed UDP in/out, speed with the same torrents plus all availlable trackers fluctuated from 3kb to 17kB down and 34kB up for 25 mins and now 161kB up and 28kB down, the highest it has been for weeks, but that may have something to do with all other users of the bandwidth in my area being in bed

I've been hoping it wasnt, but kinda knew it was. have complained to them about inconsistant speeds, but received no response so made an ISPA complaint 4 weeks ago and received an email from some knob called trevor who claims to have tried to contact me on several occaisions and wasnt able to leave a message, i'm more or less housebound and have an answer machine and no attempt has been made. replied to his email with a list of information including PC configuration, security measures and a few examples of speeds with times, dates and links for his perusal and made it clear that the information was to save him the time with his scripted questions. been logging all i can and made several days worth of speed tests at 2 hour intervals, lowest speed on my supposed 8 Mb is 212kB and highest 3529kB and live less than half a mile from local telephone exchange. I chat to my partner who works away every night and at least twice a week we both lose internet access at the same time for at least a few hours, I know it has something to do with the free laptop con they have going at the moment and have asked him to provide me with some evidence of what they have done to increase the bandwidth to accomodate for the extra customers. I would like nothing more than to drop Aohell but still have 12 months left on the contract which is Gold 8Mb for £9.99 a month, was £24.99 last year but told them to reduce it to a more acceptable price. I am quite looking forward to the alleged phone call and be quite the Alan Shaw from Boston legal when needed, but any pointers and/or advice would be great. Any way around this?

No one I know around here has AOL, all the networks I see are sky, no cable in my area, there isnt a gas supply in my area let alone a new fangled concept such as cable, this is Skelmersdale lancashire, they are more concerned with everyone wearing the same chav sports uniforms than technology, very rare to find anyone who can read past age 5 level, if I mention AOL i'm sure most people will think i'm talking about ale LOL I need to stop already with the rants, this is really doing my swede in

I'm not sure if I understood your problem with aol right but if thats the case do what i've done. I use aohell as well and because i was paying for 8mb speed and getting only 2mb according to speed test, I complained to the customer service via online support (chat) and told them that I'm paying for 8mb and getting only 2mb. They were about to connect me to technical service chat but I said it's not a technical problem due to my computer modem or the area I live and told them to open the lines otherwise i'll leave aol. Than they opened the lines and I get 11mb speed but utorrent is still is slow.

By the way guys what about utorrent is slow in vista problem, please turn back to that issue as well.

tooch, just assuming your ISP isn't a problem at the moment...

(Btw, Halite may work better because your ISP can't spot it quite as easy as uTorrent.)

Firstly, I would expect only the latest uTorrent v1.8.1 beta to be "fit" to use with Vista...and then ONLY if you disable UPnP and NAT-PMP -- alus (lead developer) is trying to figure out the obscure interaction problem/bug uTorrent has with Vista while UPnP is enabled.

Secondly, numerous others on Vista and Windows 2003 have said "no problems!" with uTorrent v1.8.1 beta. So it may be a 3rd party program, your networking setup, or bad modem/router on your end. For that, we need more information!

HijackThis!, Process Explorer, and TCP view are all very useful tools for that task -- as pointed out by the 1st link in my signature. (TCP View is from the same company that has Process Explorer -- sysinternals now Microsoft-owned)

The 1st link in my signature describes both where to get them and (vaguely) how to use them.

TCP View will tell you (and us if you bother) what all is making internet connections to/from your computer.

Process Explorer can show what DLLs and other programs are deep-linking into utorrent's exe...possibly causing uTorrent problems. (software firewalls, malware, and file indexers are notorious for doing this!)

HijackThis! can let us spot 3rd party programs that we have seen before that seem to cause problems with uTorrent...and often other network-using programs. Much commercial software out now is NOT professionally written, despite their price tags or fancy appearance. :(

thanks, i'll try your links. probably it's not my modem because i get better speeds in other computer I use at home (which is xp). (i'm hearing you saying why dont you use that other computer and stop bothering us, well i would not bother you if only my brother was not annoying about using that one while i have a laptop:D)

Archived