3.4 Disk Cache Overload && Memory Leak issues

jelly0925

utorrent 3.4 + start time, resulting in gradual increase in physical memory, physical memory usage can reach 99%, exit utorrent back to normal. OS: windows 7 sp1 x64 utorrent  2.2 is now before the normal exchange. Hoping to help repair as soon as possible. Thank you.

I'm having the same issue on utorrent 3.4.

PC specs:

Processor: Intel Pentium E5400 Dual-Core @ 2.7 GHz
RAM: 4 GB DDR2 800 MHz
HDD: 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA
Video card: Sparkle GeForce GT240 1024 MB DDR2
Mainboard: Biostar G41-M7 ver: 6.4
Source: 450W

plus

equals windows disk cache stupidity.

this is utorrent's incompatibility with certain windows safety features that restric apps that are not run with admin priviliges, if you run utorrent 3.4 or bittorrent 7.9 as admin than disk is not overloaded with zero writes and disk cache is not freaking out

problem with 3.4 and 7.9 is that for some reason their exe files reset run as admin property set in shortcut or file's properties, so i am forced to right click executible every time to select run as admin option

Windows will use all free memory for caching. It's not a problem. It will free that memory if an application requests it.

Free memory is WASTED memory.

cache for last accessed files and disk cache are different things

free memory cache is not shown as used and never causing any stability problems

disk cache is shown as used memory but it's not assigned to any of the opened apps. when utorrent is not run as admin it doesn't have all access to drive managing options and when it tries to preallocate downloaded files long hard zero writes start which cause windows to cache the whole file to memory and unload all processes to the hard drive, causing freeze due to slow speeds of the hard drive

if you run utorrent as admin it will have full access to drive management system and will not rape your hard drive with zero writes and will keep you system stable

• 6 months later...

Looks like I have found how to lower "non-uTorrent" RAM usage! (Vista or higher needed)

There are tons of such topics, most of them are closed, so I, sadly, can't notify all users with the same problems :(

But anyway.

Here is my situation:

I have 100+ seeding torrents.

uTorrent 3.2.3 was the latest version, which was not overloading my PC to death.

When I've tried newer versions of uTorrent, after some usage time, my programs launch time started to grow many-many times (from 4 secs to 2 mins), Windows-disk-cache RAM usage from 700MB was grown to 2+GB. This was unacceptable.

What was happening? Seeded files fill up windows' cache, replacing your apps (they are files too), new apps needs to get pass the list of 1000+ seeded files.

Solution is simple:

Seeding of your torrents is not a critical process. uTorrent can wait while your (time-critical) apps will use your HDD.

What is needed to be done - I/O priority of uTorrent must be lowered.

To do this, you can download and install 'Process Explorer'. Run it, select uTorrent.exe process, right-click, 'SetPriority->Background: 4 (Low I/O and Memory Priority)'. You need exactly that entry, as it is lowering not only CPU priority, but also I/O priority.

I've made launcher app, which do this automatically. Here is the code:

#include <windows.h>int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance,                   HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,                   LPSTR lpCmdLine,                   int nCmdShow){	PROCESS_INFORMATION pi = {0};	STARTUPINFO si = {0};	si.cb = sizeof(si);	SetPriorityClass(GetCurrentProcess(), PROCESS_MODE_BACKGROUND_BEGIN);	CreateProcessW(L"uTorrent.exe", L"/MINIMIZED", NULL, NULL, FALSE, 0, NULL, NULL, &si, π);}

Which would be better: if developers will lower I/O priority in their code

(for example, minimized to tray -> background I/O)

(or another example: seeding -> Low I/O, downoading - normal I/O)

but there is not so many hope in it

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

• 1 month later...

Looks like I have found how to lower "non-uTorrent" RAM usage! (Vista or higher needed)

There are tons of such topics, most of them are closed, so I, sadly, can't notify all users with the same problems :(

But anyway.

Here is my situation:

I have 100+ seeding torrents.

uTorrent 3.2.3 was the latest version, which was not overloading my PC to death.

When I've tried newer versions of uTorrent, after some usage time, my programs launch time started to grow many-many times (from 4 secs to 2 mins), Windows-disk-cache RAM usage from 700MB was grown to 2+GB. This was unacceptable.

What was happening? Seeded files fill up windows' cache, replacing your apps (they are files too), new apps needs to get pass the list of 1000+ seeded files.

Solution is simple:

Seeding of your torrents is not a critical process. uTorrent can wait while your (time-critical) apps will use your HDD.

What is needed to be done - I/O priority of uTorrent must be lowered.

To do this, you can download and install 'Process Explorer'. Run it, select uTorrent.exe process, right-click, 'SetPriority->Background: 4 (Low I/O and Memory Priority)'. You need exactly that entry, as it is lowering not only CPU priority, but also I/O priority.

I've made launcher app, which do this automatically. Here is the code:

#include <windows.h>int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance,                   HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,                   LPSTR lpCmdLine,                   int nCmdShow){	PROCESS_INFORMATION pi = {0};	STARTUPINFO si = {0};	si.cb = sizeof(si);	SetPriorityClass(GetCurrentProcess(), PROCESS_MODE_BACKGROUND_BEGIN);	CreateProcessW(L"uTorrent.exe", L"/MINIMIZED", NULL, NULL, FALSE, 0, NULL, NULL, &si, π);}

Which would be better: if developers will lower I/O priority in their code

(for example, minimized to tray -> background I/O)

(or another example: seeding -> Low I/O, downoading - normal I/O)

but there is not so many hope in it

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

has anybody tried this?

Archived