Bit Torrent: Error: File System Limitation

dewey2999

hello

I am currently running windows vista premium and have been downloading quite a bit without any trouble at quite a fast rate. I reccently tried to download splinter cell double agent it was going good until it got to 69% then it stop and gave me an error saying "the request operation could not be complete due to a system file limitation.... then i tired re-downloading it and it got to 92.8% when it said the same thing. I currently have 64 gigs of free space on my notebook. so i dont think that its to do with space. any suggestions would be great!

hello

I am currently running windows vista premium and have been downloading quite a bit without any trouble at quite a fast rate. I reccently tried to download splinter cell double agent it was going good until it got to 69% then it stop and gave me an error saying "the request operation could not be complete due to a system file limitation.... then i tired re-downloading it and it got to 92.8% when it said the same thing. I currently have 64 gigs of free space on my notebook. so i dont think that its to do with space. any suggestions would be great!

Googling seems to indicate this is a Vista bug. What version of Vista? How big are the files in the torrent? What permissons level are you running at? Is the volume compressed or encrypted?

well. im not exactly sure what version i am running but i dont thinkt that its a vista bug. I havnt had any trouble with an other download its size. its 8gigs. does my isp maybe have a monthly download limit?? I an the only user therfor have admin. And the file i am trying to download is http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Splinter-Cell-Double-Agent-CLONEDvD9-MuLTi5-TXT/31628ea31232f51603abc16b4ce16aedf2ed07102fe3

someother ppl seem to be haveing trouble to... if i hit force start it downloads like 2mb then gives me the error

help me please!!!1!!

I have now upgraded to utorrent. but it still gives me the same error

• 4 weeks later...

Not Sure in wich topic I should post in...

So I'll try here too:

Hello!

New here but I've been using uTorrent for a while with no problems, until now.

I too get this error...

"Error: The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation"

Using Vista 32-bit. uTorrent 1.7.5. Disk is NTFS WesternDigital WS300JD.

File size is 11.1 GB (that I'm trying to download). Stopped at 94.4%

Free space on disk is 39.9 GB.

This is the first time I've encountered this problem.

But I've downloaded files around this size and bigger before with no problems.

What gives?

Anyone know of a solution?

Thanks!

/Noiz R

Try ticking the option {Pre-allocate all files} as there mite be an bug in NTFS sparse files on vista (on emule they removed the option NTFS sparse files if your running vista files due to some bug {did not explain what it was)

You may still have to start the download again though

Make sure as well if UAC is turned on that files are been saved in places that are not protected space (use doc folders or desktop)

i got vista on my second boot drive so i setup 50gb's of files to download from my server but useing bit torrent (in house server to my pc) as that should make the problem happen faster and easyer to reproduce maybe (work out how i make an torent as well heh)

Btw I had the same issue, then found this:

http://forum.bittorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=861

And it is true in my case, the issue is with the Disk Caching, Write part to be exact unless longer testing shows otherwise.

If I uncheck internal Write Caching it works fine with the big files. Under it I had both suboptions checked if that matters.

Also I never had this issue before, don't know what triggered it this time. I have 140GB free and the path isn't long. It is on Vista SP1 RC, always latest 1.8 alpha but I see from the reports that 1.75 has the same problem.

Now I disabled the internal write cache and allowed Windows native write cache.

Vista already has/had issues with slow saving big files, maybe it would be best to detect Vista and disable internal write cache by default.

Internal Read caching seems fine.

• 6 months later...

for what it's worth

I understand I am not using utorrent, I'm using bittorrent...but I ran into this same problem, and a google search got me here.

I ticked the "pre-allocate all files" option in my client, and my download is now running fine again, no restart of the download required.

I'm on Vista Home or some shit like that.

just an FYI.

-sky

• 2 months later...

Editing it won't make your nonsense disappear...

Exit torrent program. Copy all downloaded data outside the download drive/folder. Do not worry about its size, uncompleted torrents take little space on the drive. Go to \USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Your-Torrent-Program-Name and make backup to all *.TORRENT files. Uninstall the torrent program ane choose to delete ALL its application data. Format the download drive (default format) or delete the entire download folder (better use separate drive for downloads). Restart PC. Install any torrent program. Copy all your unfinished torrent data to the download drive/folder. Copy all backuped *.TORRENT files to its Application Data folder. Start the torrent program. That's it.

Cleaning the system has nothing to do with uninstalling uTorrent, or a format. The MAIN reason "uncompleted torrents take little space on the drive" has to do with sparse files accessible and default on with 1.8 as Ctrl-P > Advanced diskio.sparse_files

There are/were several ERROR_MESSAGES returned by the OS all which say system limitation, but the main one as Firon alludes to is the insufficient disk space/file-too-large... hence the reason it doesn't happen after users use CONVERT to migrate FAT32 > NTFS.

Archived