Bug: False "startup disk is almost full" message.

blocker85

Definitely excited about the mac client! Here's an issue that became readily apparent on my system.

Macbook Pro (Mid 2007 model)

Leopard 10.5.5

4gb ram

I was downloading a fairly small set of audio files (<35mb) when I got a message from finder that warned me that I was almost out of disk space! I checked finder and it showed that I still had 24gb free. The transfer automagically stopped and each time I would restart it, I would get the same message.

I can't think of any reason why this would happen.

Great work guys, I'm excited for the next more stable, feature rich iterations!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, have you got file vault on?

If you have and you havent shut down your laptop in ages it does not get rid of the old encrypted files left on the disk.

Try logging out if you are running file fault.

Also are you pre allocating all the files?

Another addition to this bug.

I added a 8 GB torrent with multiple files when I had only 4 GB of space left. I chose 'Do Not Download' for most of the files, and effectively chose to download only 350 MB of data. When I started the torrent, it stopped giving me a not enough disk space error.

This is unacceptable because I want to download the torrent partially, and I do have that much of space. The problem was automagically gone, when I clicked 'Start' again. I do not have Time Vault on, never had it on.

Ah, have you got file vault on?

Nope, not on.

Also are you pre allocating all the files?

I didn't realize this was on option for me. I think that it IS preallocating, but there is plenty of room on the HD for what I was downloading. Where is the option for preallocation? Its not in the options I have in this build.

For what is worth, I'm getting identical errors. This is on an iMac with 75Gigs free on the internal boot volume (which the warning pertains to) and 13Gigs free on an external drive to which the data is being saved.

No, I don't have FileVault on. No idea if I am pre-allocating space.

Here's some stuff from the console, in case it is useful:

27/11/2008 18:09:12 uTorrent[8918] Notification: BitTorrentError

27/11/2008 18:10:43 KernelEventAgent[35] tid 00000000 received VQ_LOWDISK event (4)

27/11/2008 18:10:43 KernelEventAgent[35] tid 00000000 type 'hfs', mounted on '/', from '/dev/disk0s2', low disk

27/11/2008 18:10:43 KernelEventAgent[35] tid 00000001 display_lowdisk_warning: generating warning for volume 'Macintosh HD'

27/11/2008 18:10:43 KernelEventAgent[35] tid 00000000 found 1 filesystem(s) with problem(s)

27/11/2008 18:10:47 uTorrent[8918] **** Posting Msg: BitTorrentError ****

27/11/2008 18:10:47 uTorrent[8918] Notification: BitTorrentError

27/11/2008 18:10:53 KernelEventAgent[35] tid 00000001 display_lowdisk_warning: warning for volume 'Macintosh HD' removed

Hope that's helpful.

I indeed confirm the issue.

OSX 10.5.5, Late 2007 Macbook, 250GB internal hard disk, single partition... 173GB free. Not using filevault or any kind of encryption.

Trying to download a 40.7mb pdf file and anything else.

Keep getting out of space errors from the finder and the download stops with a red X symbol ...

Obviously the software tries to allocate huge amounts of disk space for some reason ...

Pre allocating space was in the alpha versions not the beta version yet, the problem was it was very buggy so when the download completed the files instead of being in the downloads folder where it should be it went into the "application data" folder not where it was supposed to be.

Angostura, It says you have got a file system error, open disk utility and click on your HDD press "verify disk" that will tell you if you have a certain filesystem problem.

If it says you do in red: Simply insert you Leopard OS X install disk into the drive restart the comp the when the "chime" sounds press and hold the "c" key on the keyboard if i remember correctly.

Then go to the menubar click utilities then disk utility and then click "repair disk"

See if it comes up with that error again and post what you have already done in the console

Erm.. the error he's getting is "display_lowdisk_warning" which just displays the warning that he's running out of disk space. Repairing permissions / running fsck -fy wont do anything here. Its likely that uT still tries to preallocate files at start but he doesn't have enough space for the entire thing so its giving him an error. Which is a known bug (or if it wasn't, it is now).

Adding more infos to my bug report.

1) Filesystem is perfectly healthy. Hard disk is few months old and never had any problem, it's unlikely that I would experience problems only with ONE software the first time I launch it, without ever experiencing any problem with all the other softwares I run daily for the past months. - Fsck shows no errors anyway.

2) I insist the software is trying to allocate a HUGE amount of disk, you can hear the disk working madly everytime you press start over the bug-trigging torrent. The amount of disk the software is trying to allocate has, very likely, NOTHING to do with the size of the files being downloaded. I am downloading a small 40.7MB (0.04 gb) torrent and I have 173 GB free space!.

3) The torrent triggering the bug, in my case at least, contains a "folder" with multiple (3) files inside it. I decided to skip 2 of the three files. The torrent does not exceed 40.7mb anyway AS A WHOLE, and I repeat, I have 173GB free space on the hard disk.

4) Pressing START again, everytime the torrent stops with the red X, makes the download go on for a while, until the next stop, so you can still complete the download, some way.

5) This DOES NOT happens with ALL the torrents. Some works smoothly, which again deny ANY LINK with a supposed corrupted file system or insufficient disk space.

If some developer is interested in getting some addictional details please tell me how to get those addictional details and i will be glad to provide help debugging the issue.

I also spared some files in the torrent... the post above gave me the idea of trying to download the whole torrent by setting all priority settings back to normal and it finaly worked without further error messages.

Downloading torrents with single files in it before was no problem anyway.

Archived