Open uTorrent=No web browsing

bustajibb

I recently moved into my first home from my parents place. :D It is just a few miles away. First thing I did was setup my computer. I turned on uTorrent and noticed that my web browsers stop, ie every web site I try to access the browser says it could not display/find this page. I use both Internet Explorer and Chrome. Everything is exactly the same as my previous residence; service provider, service speeds, and modem - the exception I am not using multiple computers and router in a single household. I called my service provider and they ran line tests and speed tests and everything was fine.

I have read FAQs and searched through the forums for similar topics with no luck. Someone please help me resolve this issue. I love uTorrent and seeding files and being able to browse the internet. Thank you in advance.

Thanks DarkWingKnight, that link was a big help. Seem disabling both DHT settings helped. However, it seems that about 30-40% of the time sites will not load while uTorrent is running, but if I refresh the page most of the time it will load the second time. Any suggestions to fix that?

Thanks

It seems that the guide DarkWingKnights linked to my post only temporarily worked. It is back to the same problem. I turn on uTorrent and any and all browsers stop working. Turn it off and it will start working again. I followed the entire guide. I tried each individual suggestion. I tried ALL suggestions together. And nothing happened, except for about a day uTorrent would not upload or download, even though the status showed it running properly.

And since none of that is working I will ask again for someone to please help me.

I am using Windows 7

I am running McAfee anitvirus

Ad-aware spyware

I have Centrylink/Centrytel as my service provider

The modem they provided is Centrylink 660 Series, Model: EQ660R-F1 ADSL. I am not using a router.

The status color is green.

Not sure what port check wrote, i dont see that option but it show "Current Port 34090"

Speed Guide shows current settings as follows:

Upload Speed-368.64kbit/s

Utorrnet bandwidth configurations:

Upload Limit-45

Connections (per-torrent)-100

Max active torrents-100

Upload Slots-10

Connection (global)-100

Max active downloads-10

net.max_halfopen- set to 4 as suggested and didnt modify the TCPIP.sys (it was not in the suggested since i am running Win7)

uTorrent is running fine now (though much slower downloads than my preivous residence), but it still causes any and all browsers to stop working. Again, nothing has changed from my previous residence and my new house.

Some PLEASE help me. Thank you.

Yes my Bandwidth Management (uTP) is enabled.

I ran ipconfig and got:

IPv4 address 10.0.0.2

and

IPv6 2001:0:4137:9e76:24fb:d8ee:9c3d:7027

not sure what the IPv6 address is, i am unfamiliar with it.

PS. sry i have been calling you by the wrong name, DreadWingKnight.

Thanks

I have had the same issue for about a month now, and it took me a while to realize it was uTorrent. UPnP wasn't enabled on my modem and after enabling it seems to work better (i.e. before it would give me a cannot load web page error everytime) but now it works for a while (uTorrent is open but not actively downloading or uploading at the moment.) I share practically a copy of the OP's issue but I'm not sure what you mean when you say the router needs to be configured.

The green light is on and setup guide says the port is open and my network is properly configured.

ipv4 - 10.x address - NAT.

You have a router.

It needs to be configured.

I searched the web for a guide or tips to configure my modem/router. I ended up at portforwarding.com (it had me setup a static IP and showed me how to configure the Port Forwarding) and last night things seemed to be running fine, minus the the fact that most pics and videos in my web browser would not load. But I could live with that. I turned my computer off last night, went to work and came back home and the problem was back. DreadWingKnight, could you suggest a guide to help me configure my modem/router? Thanks.

Also, the one thing that is different from my new home and my parent's place is I am not using a Cisco-Linksys E3000 High-Performance Wireless-N Router. Could adding this solve my problem? I know its a long shot but at this point I am willing to try anything to fix this.

Also, I was thinking of buy my own modem instead of "renting" the one they provide. What would you suggest for utorrent, browsing, gaming, etc?

I've used the speed chart before, but I tried again. I think I may have confused a few values the last time because it hadn't helped. This time, all of sudden my browser worked. I tried some websites that wouldn't be cached and added some .torrents. For 10 minutes or so it was working perfectly. As soon as I decided to come back here and post that it had helped me, it started again. I opened my browser and I got the "cannot display webpage". Google Chrome had a link that said "why am I getting this page?" and I asked out loud for google to help me but to no avail... Anyways now utorrent is off and here I am. I will go back through the link that DreadWingKnight posted I guess.

However if it's any help with my limited knowledge in this I don't think that it is the bandwidth...atleast for me but I would assume for the OP as well. I can run my Droid and my PS3 off my wireless router with no problems. I can browse the internet on both and I play games online with no issues with either. Also from what I've read with other people having the same issue (though I haven't tried this) they can use IM and other applications that use internet, the one thing that universally stops working is the browser.

I have tried that in the past to the same result as being connected through ethernet, however I'm having issues with connecting anything to my router at the moment as I get a "network security key mismatch" error. I don't know what's up with that. I have reset the modem and my password but it doesn't fix the problem. Anyways though I don't think that's the issue because I have tried it before.

For me, it seems that the problem has been solved by unchecking the "ip flood detection" option on my router's settings. The browsers work again !

Stangely, when I run the test in utorrent (CTRL-G) , it tells me my port is not open, can't figure why, it is forwarded in the router's setting though. Any idea ?

It seems like this could be a very simple and effective fix. I disabled it and at the moment my browser is working great. I tried a bookmark and just clicked link after link as soon as I would see one. I did this for about 30 seconds and I had no issue. I guess time will tell.

Thanks to all posters (whether this works indefinately or not) for the help you've given so far.

It has been a couple of weeks since I posted because I have been finishing moving. I am STILL have the problem. And since I never got an actual reply to my last post I will paste it here.

REPOST:

DreadWingKnight wrote:

ipv4 - 10.x address - NAT.

You have a router.

It needs to be configured.

I searched the web for a guide or tips to configure my modem/router. I ended up at portforwarding.com (it had me setup a static IP and showed me how to configure the Port Forwarding) and last night things seemed to be running fine, minus the the fact that most pics and videos in my web browser would not load. But I could live with that. I turned my computer off last night, went to work and came back home and the problem was back. DreadWingKnight, could you suggest a guide to help me configure my modem/router? Thanks.

Also, the one thing that is different from my new home and my parent's place is I am not using a Cisco-Linksys E3000 High-Performance Wireless-N Router. Could adding this solve my problem? I know its a long shot but at this point I am willing to try anything to fix this.

Also, I was thinking of buy my own modem instead of "renting" the one they provide. What would you suggest for utorrent, browsing, gaming, etc?

I read the posts by rationalgaze, moogly and elton75. I have searched in my modem config for a IP FLOOD DETECTION, but have found nothing even close to that. I have searched the internet many times for guides or anything that would help me configure my modem as suggested by DreadWingKnight. I went to portforward.com, but after using there guide and setup I am still having this issue. I am willing to allow someone who knows how to do this to have remote access to my computer to fix it. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!

Thanks

Archived