I have the free version of utorrent 3.4.5 installed (build 41865) and have recently been bombarded by ads that are more often than not difficult or impossible to pause or mute without opening the browser. The ads play even while utorrent is minimized to the system tray, so naturally I have tried to disable them.

I set the values of all ad-related preferences to false, and the ads immediately disappeared (contrary to instructions online that claim I need to restart utorrent for changes to take effect). However, within an hour the ads were back. When I opened the advanced preferences again, I found offers.left_rail_offer_enabled and offers.sponsored_torrent_offer_enabled had been reset to true (the other values I changed remained false). I've tried resetting them several times, restarting, etc., and even reinstalling utorrent without success.

Is it intended that it is now impossible to permanently disable ads? If not, does anybody know what is going wrong? Is there a registry key that I need to change?

EDIT: I noticed some values containing the keyword "offer" were not default. In particular, offers.featured_content_rss_update_interval was set to 3600 rather than default 0. Does that mean that every hour it was updating the ad feed and that was resetting other values? Or is that just a red herring? A few other options were changed too, but I can't remember which exactly.

41 minutes ago, Eebster said:

Is it intended that it is now impossible to permanently disable ads? If not, does anybody know what is going wrong?

I never see Ads in either BitTorrent, uTorrent stable or uTorrent beta EVER.

Try adding these entries to your HOSTS file (then open uTorrent & check Advanced settings. Set them again if necessary - see images in my Signature. If that doesn't help, restart computer):

127.0.0.1 tracking.opencandy.com
127.0.0.1 media.opencandy.com
127.0.0.1 cdn.opencandy.com
127.0.0.1 api.opencandy.com
127.0.0.1 api.mybrowserbar.com
127.0.0.1 mybrowserbar.com
127.0.0.1 bundles.bittorrent.com
127.0.0.1 services.bunndle.com
127.0.0.1 services.bundle.com
127.0.0.1 ct3274043.ourtoolbar.com
127.0.0.1 apps.bittorrent.com
127.0.0.1 offer.bittorrent.com
127.0.0.1 spi.domainsponsor.com
127.0.0.1 www.spigot.com
127.0.0.1 www.mybrowserbar.com
127.0.0.1 ap.bittorrent.com
127.0.0.1 services.bittorrent.com
127.0.0.1 llsw.download3.utorrent.com
127.0.0.1 download3.utorrent.com
127.0.0.1 ads.bittorrent.com
127.0.0.1 cdn.ap.bittorrent.com
127.0.0.1 offers-i.bittorrent.com
127.0.0.1 pr.apps.bittorrent.com
127.0.0.1 www.adknowledge.com
127.0.0.1 adknowledge.com
127.0.0.1 search.conduit.com
127.0.0.1 offers.bittorrent.com
127.0.0.1 engine.ap.bittorrent.com
127.0.0.1 beta.bundles.bittorrent.com
127.0.0.1 bench.utorrent.com
127.0.0.1 engine.ap.bittorrent.com
127.0.0.1 utorrent.inspsearch.com

He is right, the latest versions sometimes enable those "offer" settings. But when you set them back to false - they stay that way... Probably some experimentation of the uT team...

Try my settings (sig)  to disable everything you forgot...

21 minutes ago, rafi said:

the latest versions sometimes enable those "offer" settings. But when you set them back to false - they stay that way...

Ah right.

I rar'd my own settings.dat yonks back after making necessary ad-removal changes.

I just extract & overwrite previous settings.dat each time I replace (update) uTorrent.exe with latest version so I effectively start afresh each time.

Archived