Sped graph at bottom won't show upload speed properly in 1.6

pcGnome

There should be a quick way to search to see if I'm duplicating someone else's bug reprot.

Anyway, I like the speed graph at the bottom of the screen. It tells me when my ISP disconnects. But when I include "upload speed", it slams to a constant 5400K/s, even though the status line shows the correct upload speed (around 30-50k/s).

pcGnome

AFAIR 1.5 autoscaled the combined graph regardless to upload/download cap setting and it was very handy for mixed lan/internet environment, when lan peers dl at full 100mbps but outer peers are being capped by uplink speed.

Sorry, Ultima, I haven't touched a thing. I installed the new version yesterday, ran the program to continue my activities, went down and pressed the "speed" button and there was only a red line across the top and a green line across the bottom. The scale in the upper left said 5400. It wasn't until I selected only "download" that I got a properly scaled graph.

The previous version auto-scaled based on actual i/o bandwidth. Why on earth would it scale anything to the limit when it's never done that before?

pcGnome

OK, I re-read the moderator's comments. I've set the upload limit to 0 {no limit} and the graph now works like it used to.

But, if you don't mind, I still kinda sorta think this is still a bug.

IMHO the graph should autosize to what's actually occuring. Failing that, why does the system default on installation to something so far out of range that it defaults to a fairly useless graph?

Also, it seems that the only way to autosize the upload graph is to not have limits. Can't say I like the either / or choice of that. What if I have need of a limit AND I want the graph to autosize?

Maybe a flag in the advanced settings would be in order?

pcGnome

I'm on dial-up and the speed scaling is definitly borked, with no upload or download limits set

The download graph scales to 18 Kb/s with a constant green line at the very top and the upload scales to 3 Kb/s with a similar constant red line.

The upload/download graph is a kind of composite of the two and is scaled at 18 Kb/s, as might be expected.

The install was a straight replacing of the utorrent.exe file and I've since gone back to 1.5 stable (I never tried the betas).

MC

Well, Ultima, I just said that I consider it a bug because it doesn't provide a way to get to where I want to go (settin a limit that doesn't affect the graph). And since you guys are in charge, then you can deny that reduced functionality is not a bug.

So be it. I can live with it. utorrent is still my favorite, even with small frustations.

Switeck, I think you might be wrong in your assertion that setting the upload limit to zero hurts download speed. I found this out annoyingly by accident. I clicked on the bottom status bar to bring the utorrent window to the top and inadvertently hit that little orange dot and the speed guide popped up. Silly me, I selected a connection speed different from the default. I have a 6m connection and the choices are 2 and 10, so I picked 2. Instantly that third red line appeared and my graph locked at 186k and instantly my dowload speeds dropped from about 160k to about 60k. I went and checked and sure enough, my upload cap had been set to 186. I reset it to 0, but my deficient speed did not increase.

Of course, there's every possibility that setting a difinitive speed did something else that I'm not aware of that affects my ability to download, but how on earth would I track that down?

Oh, just noticed that my "maximum numberr of downloads" had been decreased from 20 to 8 without my permission or knowledge.

pcGnome

Archived