Static IP required?

Orbzon

I was doing some reading on portforward.com and it sounds like you can't have a dynamic IP if you want to successfully use uTorrent:

"It is very important to setup a static ip address, if you are going to use port forwarding. When you have port forwarding setup, your router forwards ports to the ip address you specify. This will probably work when you initially set it up. But after restarting your computer, it may have a different ip address. When this happens the ports are no longer forwarded to your ip address. So your port forwarding configuration will not work."

I'm having that problem ^ thanks to my dynamic IP :/

Is there anything dynamic IP users can do to workaround this, or must we switch over to static IPs?

Thanks.

I've tried UPnP before and I always get this message in the logger: "Unable to map UPnP Port". So I normally have it disabled.

Is UPnP supposed to fix the port problem I'm having? Because this is one big port problem after all... :/

it should. UPnP basically lets uTorrent tell your router what port to forward to what computer automatically. There's been improvement to the UPnP code from 1.5.

It's a good idea to have static IPs assigned to your local network computers anyway. As njeske was trying to say, you can have your router reserve particular IPs to particular computers on your network.

I re-enabled UPnP and it hasn't change my network status (still red). I'm almost positive resetting my router is what screwed everything up.

This is leading me to believe that it is indeed required to have a static IP for uTorrent...

Unless there's another way for dynamic IPs to work with forwarded ports?

Surely there's people with dynamic IPs using uTorrent with no problems! Right?!

I just tried static IP through my LinkSys router and still no dice.

I don't know why my ports are fucked up :( :(

So there is definitely no way to get the green light with a dynamic IP?? Sure would save me a lot of trouble...

I thought you can mix...? My assumption was that if the DHCP server finds a computer located at a randomly selected IP, and the IP happens to be what you're using, it'd skip it, or something.

Edit: On second thought... Yeah you're going to have to set everything to static, otherwise, if something gets set to your selected static IP at random by the DHCP server, you're screwed.

I finally got it to work on DHCP again!

It turns out all of this shit started when I reset my router today by unplugging the power cord. I started getting these network errors (red light) and I thought my router got fubarred somehow. So I started reading up on portforward.com and one of the guides tells you how static IPs are necessary for port forwarding bla bla bla.

Needless to say, that isn't true at all. It turns out the router I'm on sent me a new IP after I reset it, which was the problem all along. I kept forwarding on the old IP, totally clueless I was issued a new one after the reset. lol :P

At least I know DHCP and static IPs work just fine with uTorrent now. It was just my lame router this whole time...

Thanks for the help everyone! :D :D

Archived