Improving the recheck process

vincent163

Whenever uTorrent is not closed properly it will ask you to recheck all downloading torrents. This is extremely annoying, especially on my unstable machine where uTorrent lags once a while whenever I forgot to open it with the 'Run as administator' option or accidentally pulls down my power, and a recheck takes approximately 1 hour for my 400GB torrent.

However I believe there's still much room for improvement in this feature, including:

1) I believe it is possible to start downloading/seeding before the full recheck is complete, though this may require a bit of complicated coding. For example, mark the unchecked pieces as "Skipped" internally and restore them to the original priority after checking.

2) Make backup of the progress file onto the hard drive periodically and restore from the progress file directly, and at the next startup, read the progress file and check the modification date of the files. If the modification dates are not changed, pop a warning and then assume that the files are untouched, skipping the downloaded part. Then perform recheck on the remaining part whose state is unknown (or maybe allow the user to skip it, consuming more network traffic). If combined with (1) strategy, the recheck will progress simultaneously as downloading goes, effectively causing almost no delay even if shutdown was not completed gracefully.

3) Pausing rechecks. It could also be annoying if at some point I have to shut down my computer or plug out the hard drive for other reasons, and the recheck has to start from scratch upon next start.

With those features added, I am sure that uTorrent will show a huge improvement in stability and become much more competitive in terms of downloading huge torrent files.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know what the programmers of Utorrent have done.. but in the PAST,  I used to have NIGHTMARES when my computer would shut down improperly and it would take WEEKS to recheck all the files on Utorrent.   But NOW, it never seems to take more than a couple of hours for the rechecks to complete.  I think that is because almost none of the files wind up being marked for re-check anymore.  I think it was about 4 years ago when every crash resulted in weeks of re-checks.  

Archived