How to let utorrent check if a torrent was already downloaded in the past?

pstein

Assume I run utorrent from time to time over a longer period of time.

Lots of torrent files are already stored in "completed torrents" folder.

When I add now a new torrent for downloading utorrent should compare it at first against all the previous downloads (= torrents in "completed torrents" folder)

and check if this torrent was already downloaded in the past.

If yes, a warning popup should appear.

How can I achieve this?

Peter

If you mean - that you want  that checked when adding the torrent, I think it is nearly impossible, unless you want to invest in re-associate the .torrent into your own script *before* passing it to utorrent.

You you can do (tho, not tested probably) - is define in advanced->run program on state change - your own script that  will compare your torrent name or part of it - to your existing torrent files' names, and echo/popup some message on a match.

You can also save every new torrent name in your own list when adding, and compare to it. At least you can easily search manually too in it...

Edited by rafi

Ok, thank you for answer.

But I didn't thought about torrent file name comparison. This name could change and would be not suitable.

An easier way would be to request the Hash value for the torrent download target file (not the *.torrent file) from the torrent server/seed/peers

and compare it to the local "already downloaded store".

That would be perfectly easy

Is there no such function?

Yes and no. *IF* you have all the torrents added/loaded into utorrent (even w/o files) - it will simply check exactly that (compare hashes)  and notify you (refuse to add the new torrent, but only add the trackers from it).

If the torrent is NOT loaded, how should it know?!... So - no...

Edited by rafi

This is NOT true.

For example, a couple of weeks ago I downloaded a big file via utorrent. The corresponding *.torrent file is still in "completed torrents" folder (as I found out meanwhile).

But I didn't remember that. So I added the torrent again and......

utorrent did NOT notify me and it does not refuse to  add the torrent. Instead the torrent target file was downloaded again.

So simply having the *.torrent file in "completed torrents" folder seems to be not working/ not sufficient/not storing the Hash

I am not using "completed" folder, but it should not matter. The question is - do you still see the torrent in your list, and can seed it? If so, I suggest to test by tring and add the exact same torrent file twice.

In the case you mentioned - my guess would be that the second torrent did was NOT he same one. You can check both by "copy magnet/hash" and compare.

Edited by rafi