TOR and Privoxy Support

herbert

• 1 month later...

With all respect to the good people of this forum, that seems like an ultimately counter-productive concern for the Tor admins to have. While it might be technologically reasonable (not wishing to strain the network), one of the best uses, and undoubtedly most popular, of an anonymous WAN would be to make all kinds of filesharing safer (Please don't flame me re: intellectual property; I'm well aware of the arguments on both sides). I would gladly donate bandwidth for that, as do the Freenet and Entropy folks. It sounds like the Tor admins need to convince more people to act as servers, and inviting P2P users onto the network with the promise of sharing files more anonymously would certainly help with that.

Seeing as how the default settings for Tor block the default ports used by popular P2P applications, I'd assume that Tor wasn't designed to handle so much traffic (and it doesn't seem so either). BitTorrent was deliberately designed to not hide information. There's a lot of things working against people who want to anonymize the BitTorrent protocol.

The way I see it, if a P2P application is to incorporate anonymous file sharing, then it's going to have to do that from the ground up. There are already P2P applications like that being developed (though I can't remember the exact names).

Archived