system restart!

Taelisin

I recently switched from Bitlord to utorrent because every one told be this program was better. while i tend to agree i have an issue while downloading large(500mb+) files. My system will restart itself for no apparent reason. My paging file is large enough and my HDD has enough space. i dont use any of the software listed in the help file that conflicts with the program, and i have tried removing my router and sofware firewall to no result. does anyone have any ideas what could be going wrong?

You have hostile software (virus/trojan/worm/bad drivers/corrupt DLLs) on your computer more than likely. It may have even come from BitLord. If you haven't already, get Spybot Seek and Destroy and HijackThis! to find and remove probable adware/spyware...and a good antivirus program to remove standard viruses.

For bad drivers and corrupt DLLs, usually only formatting and reinstalling windows will help unless you're very good with the registry editor. ...though some/all of them may be removed if you uninstall the programs they're associated with.

my hardware is, on board nvidia ethernet, connected to a belkin wireless router, and a cable modem, i use firefox not IE, have no other p2p software installed, and all drivers are up to date. I have a few games that i occasionally play online but thats it, and i doubt they would intefer while not running. I also have msn, yahoo pager and skype, all of which are closed down while utorrent is running.

Archived