Incoming Port Attacks

favetvshows1x3

I first downloaded uTorrent today. I then proceeded to download a torrent. I then exited the program, and noticed, a few hours later, that the Ethernet light on my router was still blinking (quite rapidly, too). Curious, I opened McAfee Personal Firewall's Incoming Events log. Lo and behold, I had over 2000 incoming (blocked) connections to the port I had opened for uTorrent...after I had closed the program. I reopened it, randomized the port, did NOT open a new torrent (...!), and just let it sit for a while. The connections slowly shifted over to this new port, but I'm still getting attacks on the old one every once in a while. How do I reclose this port (if that's the problem; if not, what is?)?

Even if you didn't download on the port, you were (presumably) using DHT, and that means you announced that port change on the network, after it changed, regardless of whether you downloaded. The so-called "leftovers" occur because DHT is a distributed network, so updates propogate slowly through it. As such, other nodes do not know when you disconnected, and so requests to your computer will keep coming in until everyone finally figures out your computer is disconnected.

If you don't like it, disable DHT. You might still get some "leftover" connections, but it won't be as severe as it is now. It happens because that's just how BitTorrent is -- it's *essentially* decentralized after people get the peerlist from the tracker, so people don't know when you disconnect until they've tried connecting to you.

If it's INCOMING stuff, it's not on your computer. That's computers trying to connect to yours.

A Denial-of Service attack does not require any malware of any kind on a computer to work...it just bombards it with "useless" incoming packets.

But like Ultima said, it's probably just a side-effect of you running µTorrent -- other computers remember your ip and can continue attempting to make connections with it even a week later. If your firewall sees that and goes nuts...I'd say your firewall is the "malware" here!

Archived