Seeding Question.

Naepstar

Hello peeps. Ive happily used your great client for some time now.

Ive read other posts here giving different oppinions about seeding and how much you should seed.

I thought that generally a high seeding ratio was good, then I read some people saying you shouldnt upload more than you download due to different things. I myself have no problem seeding endlessly, and I allways let the program run when Im just chilling surfing the net or playing poker or whatever so I have a ratio of like 80gb up - 20 down.

I was just wondering if anyone could enlighten me a little more about seeding, should I stop seeding at one point? like use the automatic limit option?, or does it not matter if I seed endlessly?, I read people saying that if I have a seeding lvl of say 4.. like I do, then theres some other guy that can only have a very low seeding ratio? or am I not understanding this corret? I know that of course theres gonna be leechers, but Im I doing something wrong to the torrent by seeding to much / to little, and what?

Hoping for some intelligent answers :P

Regards a happy user :)

The theory is that the outcome with superseeding isn't that great when other people start getting banned because they can't outcompete the people who overseed.

In my experience, I've never had trouble seeding back whenever I torrented. It's really up to you, and personally, I don't find it to be that big a crime (if at all), as it does help other people to have *essentially* perpetual seeds. On the extreme side of the spectrum would be OiNK -- apparently, they're notorious for having torrents that are very often insanely overseeded, and a LOT of people complain about having trouble sharing their ratio back up.

The only place it really matters whether you seed 100% or 2000% is open torrents. There, people often leave immediately after downloading -- usually with <20% ratio.

On private torrents, where people are "forced" to have good ratios, if you seed to >200% then everyone else is waiting to seed but fewer and fewer people show up to download.

IMO, i dont see any problems to seeding like you do, so if you are one of those lucky guys with good ratio, congrats, go ahead.

If you have 80gb up and 20gb could be because different things, you dont download to much and leave the torrent seeding.

In the other side, a lot of people just want or find what to download every day, small or big torrents, and like Switeck says, leaves after downloading with <20% ratio.

If you want my advice, search for a good private site of torrents of your taste (music, games, movies, etc.).

You need to sign up (via email) for most private sites. Also most private sites use a private

passkey in their torrents announce URL (which means the tracker won't let you connect unless that passkey is verified)

Example:

Public-> http://somepublictracker.net/announce

Private-> http://someprivatetracker.net/xxxxxxxx/announce where xxxxxxxx stands for a random personal passkey

Archived