Vista 5728 + uTorrent == lost connectivity. Anyone else?

luminosus

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else here used Vista build 5728 (http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc1/en/download-5728.htm) and noticed lost connectivity. When I BT heavily, my network connectivity dies and I have to reboot Vista to get it working again. (Cannot even disable/enable network connection.) I was using the RC1 build (5600) before and it seemed ok on my machine before....

Anyone else noticing this problem? I want to gather some data and see if this is a wide-spread problem before I file a bug with the folks at MS. If you noticed similar issue in ANY build of vista, or if you do NOT see this issue and you are on 5728, would you mind posting a reply? Please include your Vista build#, 32/64bit, and your network adapter brand/model.

Oh, and if anyone has a solution to the problem I'd love to hear too.

In my case it's a 64-bit vista on 5728, with a NForce4 ethernet controller.

Thanks!

luminus

I am running RC2 (Build 5744) and I also lose my connectivity. It seems to be the same problem with other torrent programs but the weird thing is it isn't happening to everyone...

I tried the fix (max 4 half opened connections) and it worked for a lot longer than it usually does (about 1 and a half hour) but then it froze up again.

So yeah, anyone have another idea?

EDIT: BTW I also have a Nforce NIC. I wonder if thats the problem...?

Checking my event viewer I am also getting "TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts".

Maybe that is it?

Does anyone know how to turn off the "security limit"?

I have heard that the checksum offload option messes with some torrents. So I turned off checksum offload in my NIC properties. It seems to be running better (more than a hour without freeze), so that might be it. I will post later if it lasts longer.

-Levi

I've had RC2 for a few days now and ive only just started getting this problem. I am testing the checksum fix also, and its beein going strong for about 15 minutes.

Vista RC2 with nForce 4 and AMD chip.

It appears this is somehow related to half open connections and event 4226. Looks like Vista shuts down the network when it thinks theres a virus (eg utorrent) so perhaps disabling windows defender could fix this?

Edit: Just crashed again. No idea whats going on, there was no event 4226 this time. =/ This never happened in RC1 nor beta 2.

I'm using Vista RC2 and a Shuttle SN25P, which has a NForce4 chipset, and I have exactly the same problem! I will try all of the above and let you know if any of it works....

I had NO problems like this with XP, and earlier Vista RC1 earlier...

The only way to fix it is rebooting my machine...

I'm thinking it's probably an issue with the nForce4 drivers, so let's hope there's an update to this soon...

I got the problem again with 4 half open connections as I tried to download three popular and recent torrents...

I set half open connections to 2 and the number of sending slots per torrent to 2 as well and I could download the files.

The problem seems related to popular torrents with many seeds and leechers where the software tries to open many connections at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

No real solution for me yet.

However, I use uTorrent with my laptop (with Windows XP) and my Windows Vista PC act as a gateway for connections to Internet. With this configuration I have no more connection problem but the download speed is a bit slower.

• 2 weeks later...

i think i found the problem. Open Network and Sharing Center and click on "manage network connections" under tasks. then right click the connection that you are using and go to properities. then under properities uncheck the "Internet Connection Protocol Version 6" then click ok.

I have been downloading between 100kb/s and 120kb/s and havent had any problem so far

My problem seemed to be related to Windows Firewall. Yes, uTorrent was enabled in the firewall, yet I still had to disable Windows Firewall to get uTorrent's Port Checker to give me green. I'm still not sure why this is.

On XP I had no problem using random ports + UPnP, but on Vista I have to manually forward the ports with my router, disable the firewall, and even then I still get a Listen error in uTorrent.

So it's either uTorrent or Vista or a bit of both. I just hope there's a way to fix this soon, because I'm not getting to use my full upload bandwidth...

• 2 weeks later...

I'll add myself to the list of sufferers. I tried the fixes mentioned here, but problem persisted. Based on the assumption that the "too many half-open connections" theorey is correct, (joining a popular torrent seems to be part of the equation for me.) I found a setting in uTorrent that appears to help: Options > Preferences > BitTorrent > Global Maximum Number of Connections... I set mine to... um, i dunno, try 39! with maximum per torrent also at 39!, and saved the setting. Have since made it through a very busy torrent, to the end, without dropout. (Used to take 4 or 5 reboots.) Hope this is helpful.

lunchrevisited,

How odd! Half-open connections are only indirectly related to global max connections. If anything, setting the global max connections too low when the half-open max in µTorrent is set high should CAUSE problems. (However this may only happen if half-open max is at least 1/4 of global max connections.) If anything, you may be reaching (or nearly reaching) global max connections and µTorrent throttling back its half-open connection rate to 0. You're still "hit" by incoming connections on your port, but Windows Vista may be handling them differently and not inducing a crash because of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Lunch here again... it's been almost a month and I haven't had a single problem since I applied the setting described above. My friend tried it and his problem was cured. (At first he tried a higher limit with no luck, but the magic of 39 has brought his uTorrent back to life.) I can't really explain it, I just know what is. Good luck to everyone.

Is this the right way to go about it, though? I know that too many half-open connections messes stuff up, but similarly won't a low number potentially slow things down? I'm not an expert on this.

Right now uTorrent's inexplicable difficulty with Vista is one of the reasons I am not using Vista (besides broken compatibility with some games.)

but similarly won't a low number potentially slow things down?

No. Half-open connection limits only affect your ability to attempt to connect to other peers.

If your client is properly reachable you won't notice a difference.

High half-open connection limits are useless beyond the first 5 minutes of a torrent being started.

• 3 months later...

Using -- Vista Ultimate 32bit --

2 different Network Cards:

Intel 82562GT 10/100 Network Connection

Linksys LNE100TX(ver5.1) Fast Ethernet Adapter

Modem - Siemens SpeedStream 4100

Anywhere from 10 to 45 minutes after I start UTorrent I get knocked offline. I reset the Modem and I'm back up. But as I'm sure you know most files take hours to download and I can't sit around and babysit my internet connection. Has anyone come up with an answer to this problem.

I actually had AT&T out here to replace my modem and I had a Dell Techie working on my computer for a couple hours. Then I found this forum and got better answers in 5 minutes of reading than I got in 3 days of technical support.

Thanks for all your help.

Archived