One download only

Vuirneen

This is probably something that most of you will groan about, but I'll add to the forum anyway.

I used to use bittorrent, but it stopped working after an upgrade and so I installed a version of mu torrent.

I followed the instructions as best I could, i.e. set up a static IP address and forwarded the specified port (the guide at portforwarding didn't match my own setup as I think my ISP rewrote the interface, but I amended the nearest equivalent)

Weh I was done, I clicked the button to check if the port forward was working... and it wasn't. The IP address didn't match what I'd set up for the static IP address, but I figured that I'd finish the installation and come back to it again.

I added a torrent to the programme and it downloaded completely, so the port must have been forwarded after all.

I added five torrents, after failing to migrate torrents from bittorrent. (Yes I read the documentation, but bittorrent doesn't appear to have stored anything as a .torrent file and renaming them manually doesn't work. One of the old torrents was a folder of 13 episodes and they're saved as .avi files.)

However, since then, the little download/upload buttons have been red and the tracker info says "offline timed out". The network button has always been yellow.

The port is still "not forwarded" but there's an avi file on my computer that suggests that something wacky is going on.

Weh I was done, I clicked the button to check if the port forward was working... and it wasn't. The IP address didn't match what I'd set up for the static IP address, but I figured that I'd finish the installation and come back to it again.

Are you confusing the public IP with the private IP? I suspect you are.

(Yes I read the documentation, but bittorrent doesn't appear to have stored anything as a .torrent file and renaming them manually doesn't work. One of the old torrents was a folder of 13 episodes and they're saved as .avi files.)

Then you didn't read the documentation properly. In cases where the client doesn't save a copy of the .torrent file, you must do so yourself.

Are you confusing the public IP with the private IP? I suspect you are.

I suspect that I am as well.

Then you didn't read the documentation properly. In cases where the client doesn't save a copy of the .torrent file, you must do so yourself.

There is a folder where it has stored incomplete files. None of them are .torrent files.

Get the torrents from the original sites again, and you should be able to resume.

I copied the files into another folder and got some of the torrents again, but they started off with 0% complete. Now the names that bittorrent gave them are numbers, (mu torrent has given them names) so it might not be able to recognise them as being the same files.

In other news, mu torrent is downloading again, but the port still apparently isn't forwarded.

edit If I have UPnP enabled on my router, do I even need to forward ports? (because one of the computers on my network can't be given a static IP address, it would be handy if this is yes, it would also explain why I can download stuff without an open port.)

You can download/upload on µTorrent without port forwarding, you'll just always be firewalled and totally unable to download/upload with anyone else that's firewalled.

...but on big torrents, there's usually enough unfirewalled peers+seeds to get decent speeds.

Archived