cap on d/l

djmark7

Optimum Online offers 10mbit+ connections -- they still suck. Care to enlighten us as to which type of service you're paying for? DSL or cable Internet? Or would you mind pointing out the plan on their website? The highest I see is the "High Speed Premium [that] gives you download speeds of up to 8.0Mbps-that's nearly 200x faster than dial-up." Not to mention I've been with Earthlink for the past 5 or 6 years, so I'm fairly sure they don't offer 12Mbit+ lines anyway.

right now im using earthlink i was on optonline cable but they jacked the price, sad part is everything worked fine on optonline now i have dsl and on optonline the port thing on utorrent was green, now its yellow or red and i havent changed any settings on puter or program? im puzzled

welp all i can say is utorrent doesnt know the diff between dsl and cable and the numbers in utorrent seem to be capped and as i said the port indicator on the bottom stays yellow or red and i havnt changed anything i also called el tech and they said there are no settings i can change in modem? also as i said the news server on el is awfully slow also, could be related?

Or maybe you don't know the difference between mbit/s and MiB/s. And maybe you don't understand that the physical limits of DSL is 8mbit/s, which translates to a maximum of 1MiB/s. If the port indicator is red, then you haven't set your port forwarding up properly.

http://www.utorrent.com/setup_guide.php

Don't blame µTorrent if you're not going through the basics first.

Protocol Encryption will not help unless the ISP is throttling your connection, which is not the case. Enabling encryption will use up a very slight amount of your bandwidth. You either have a port configuration issue or are using a bad tracker. In uTorrent, click Options - Speed Guide, click the "Test if port is forwarded properly" button.

Different ISP's use different hardware and different router configurations, so even if you haven't changed a thing on your end there can still be configuration issues. And like they said above 1.5 Mb/s = 187.5 KB/s (8 bits to a byte). And don't expect to get 100% of what the ISP says; the speeds you said above would be considered normal.

Archived