Utorrent freezes entire computer no matter what version

Famine001

My computer always freezes while using utorrent or any torrent program for that matter. I recently changed from an old computer to a new one. I had no problems on the old one but can't get it to work on the new one. I am running Windows XP with service pack 2 and have run the patch to increase connections. Still freezing. I have updated the BIOS for my motherboard and all my drivers for my internet connection. It will run for a while and then freeze forcing me to use the reset button then when I restart I let everything load up and then start utorrent. It freezes everytime before it even finishes checking the file. I thought about increasing the cache that it us allowed to use but would that even work, or would it just freeze the rest of the computer faster. Anyone who can help me would be greatly appreciated.

My internet connection is through the ethernet LAN on my motherboard Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC as for what software I am using My Antivirus is Norton 2005 but that is the same as I had on my old computer and I never had any problems with it then. Is it possible that the fact that I am running a dual core chip have anything to do with it. I have heard of that with some other programs.Or maybe my motherboard it is the ASRock 775i65G. As far as I can tell I don't have any of the other programs that cause problems according to the FAQ.

my half open connections in utorrent are set to 4 in the advanced section of the preferences and my global connections are set to 80. I used the patch to change the number of half open connections allowed to 200. Again though I thought this would be something that didn't effect it because I never had to use the patch on my old computer it never froze. Should I set it so that the number of connections is smaller with the patch? What other settings should be lower? Should the max download speed and upload speed be limited as well?

Upload speed definitely should be limited to about 80% of your sustainable amount, or strange things like temporary firewalled conditions, lost data, dropped connections and other nasty things can happen.

Download speed does not need to be limited IF your download speed is a couple multiples of your upload speed. You're not likely to get download rates back that are 4x or more your upload speed on any torrent that's hurting for seeds. OpenOffice should max you out, but it's a special case with superfast (T-3's and faster!) seeds.

On the other hand, it shouldn't hurt to set your download speed to 80% of your real max.

For any connection that goes through a D-Link/Belken router or a wireless router or a USB modem...it pretty much should be limited to 100 or less Global connections max.

Ok my upload speed is set to 15 kb/s and I set my download speed to 80 kb/s my connection with the patch are now at 100 and the connections in my utorrent are at 80. Still when I started my utorrent as soon as I got my settings changed it froze the entire computer again.

Archived