No Download Speed at all!

paddym21

Hey Guys

I'm really new to bit torrent etc. so please bear with me. I have made several searches on the Internet, but cannot seem to find anything that directly relates to my problem.

I use a Linksys router (I've seen the post stickyed to the top of this board, but my model does not fall under that category) - dont ask what model I have as I do not know, I will have to wait until I get home to check, though I do know that it is not the ones stated.

I have the green tick etc in UTorrent, and I have checked that ports are forwarding okay. I forward to my automatically assigned IP of 192.168.1.101 (only because for some reason the router wont let me give myself a static ip).

So yeah, ports are forwarding okay, and I get a decent speed on connection tests. I have never downloaded before, so therefore am not contribuiting anything to the bit torrent thingy at the moment.

I am trying to download heavily seeded files, and u torrent tells me that it is gathering seeds. The number of seeds rises to about 80. However my download speed varies between 0k and 0.2k along with my upload speed. This has happened for a prolonged period of about two hours.

Is there anything you guys can recommend I check? I take it the router is not the issue as its able to forward the port.

I'd be so grateful for any help, I really just want to get this working and its doing my head in!!!!!

Cheers, Patrick

Hi DreadWingKnight

When you say that Linksys does this silently, do you mean that utorrent would claim port forwarding is setup correctly when in fact it is not?

Is a static ip essential for port forwarding to work? **Edit: Don't worry about that one, i see it is not necessary, but is good practice

I only ask because utorrent claims everything is setup correctly.

Thanks for the link btw, I shall find out my model number tonight and use the appropriate guide to make sure its setup okay, but from perusing the various instructions, i'm fairly sure i've done it as they say i should. If this is the case, then i guess there must be a problem with the port forwarding

Hi yeah, I see what you mean, in that DHCP will renew my ip when i reconnect to the network and I may not get the same IP as I used for port forwarding. Thats cool, i'll go down the static route. Thankyou.

Could you shed any light on my earlier question, when DreadWingKnight said it would not forward ports assigned to DHCP, and would do this silently. Does this mean that even though I was passing the port forwarding tests in utorrent, the ports aren't actually forwarding at all?

Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised at what DWK said, and it probably is true (though I wouldn't know myself, since I don't sue a Linksys router). In that case, just use a static IP outside of the DHCP range as DWK suggested, or make the range smaller (and still set it outside) if the range is too wide to fit an extra IP.

Hey guys

I've gone through all the setup stuff, given myself a static ip (turned off dhcp to make that happen), and now i am getting the status bar at the bottom of u torrent tell me that i am downloading at about 2k (which is a marked improvement) but the actual stats on the torrent im downloading are not changing at all.

Any ideas?

Archived