Totally New And Need Help Please

hercules

Just d/led and installed utorrent. First time I have ever used such a program. I have pretty much figured out how to download stuff but my question is how do I make stuff availible for others to download? Do I just put . torrent files in a folder and direct the program there? Can other files other then .torrent be made availible? If not how do I create a .torrent file?

Sorry for the noob questions, but this is totally new to me.

Thank you in advance.

You need to be able to upload to a torrent tracker, or you need to set up a tracker yourself.

If you want to share something by torrents, you will have to create a .torrent-file. To do this click "Create New Torrent..." in the File menu. There you can choose between adding a file or a folder. Type the URL to the tracker in the URL field, and you will have your .torrent-file. Then you will only need to get it to a tracker to be able to share the contents.

uTorrent is already a tracker by itself. Just create the torrent using your IP and port in the announce URL:

Example: port 32000, IP 32.64.128.96

- http://32.64.128.96:32000/announce

Create the torrent using that URL and start seeding. Other people can then connect to you as a tracker and download that torrent. One thing to concern yourself with is that tracking does take bandwidth, and it may choke your connection or your computer to death.

what does the triangle with red minus symbol in it mean?
Q. What does the universal "NO" symbol mean on the torrent status icons?

This indicates that µTorrent was not able to reach the tracker. This could happen when the tracker goes offline or overloaded. When this happens, µTorrent might have difficulty finding peers. In that case, it may become impossible to download the file if no peers can be found.

Archived