default .torrent location

utorftw

I just started with uTorrent after using another for a year or so.

uTorrent ran fine for a few days but when I restarted it looked for the .torrents in \documents and settings\....

I keep .torrents in C:\uTorrents\ which is specified in 'Other' -> 'Store .torrent files in:'

After several restart of uTorrent, to be sure I had the correct settings and paths, I tried moving the torrents to c:\documents and settings\...\application data\uTorrent\* like it wants, but each torrent still says 'Error cannot open .torrent file' and specifieds the doc n settings folder. When I 'open containing folder' of a torrent, it does find the data files. It wont start any of them :/

"C:\Documents and Settings\...\Application Data\uTorrent"

Cut, pasted, modified, right from explorer.

I also tried putting that path into the default .torrent path, no change.

Right now I have them in both places and also a backup.

I checked the extention, they are all .torrent

Odd thing is some of them are showing in 'completed' for some reason, they are not done.

I was able to get another one to start downloading by dropping the .torrent into the 'new torrent' folder. It was actually downloading and uploading. Then I restarted uTorrent and now it is not downloading again. (it again says can't open .torrent file <path as above>)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
Changes to storage location settings aren't retroactive to already-loaded torrents.

That's what I noticed. Also, there's a checksum for resume.dat so I can't do a binary safe rename to change the torrent paths inside it. If I do the file is copied to resume.dat.1.bad and a blank new resume.dat is created.

I wouldn't mind if you considered changing this so that resume.dat is updated if the torrent location setting is changed. So that uTorrent is more portable. Portability is very important for advanced users with many files and programs on their hard drives. I needed to move the torrents dir and had so many seeding torrents that it was easier to make a Windows junction (hard link) rather than re-adding all torrents.

• 1 year later...

After a virus wiped my hard drive's partition info, I recovered the partition and all data I wanted. Namely, %AppData%\Roaming\uTorrent\*.*

I didn't have to recover any downloaded data because it was already downloading to a different harddrive.

Anyway, after I thought I had everything in place, especially resume.dat, settings.dat, associated torrent files, and the download harddrive letter reassigned, I rebooted windows and it still didn't work. I selected all torrents, right clicked, and then selected 'force recheck' and viola, works like a Greek talisman (charm).

FWIW: uTorrent's appdata path on windows 7 is: (insert system drive letter here):\Users\(insert current user's name here)\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\

Notice the added roaming folder.

Windows XP doesn't use the Local, LocalLow, or Roaming folders. I don't know about Vista. I avoid Vista like Windows Mistake Edition.

Hope this helps.

Archived