uTorrent maxxing out CPU

IaoGawd

I've done some researching but have yet to find an answer to my problem. Here goes... after running for a while, uTorrent will begin to completely consume my CPU's processing power. I first noticed when my computer began to run in a very bogged down manner.

Utilitizing 'Windows Task Manager' revealed that 'System' was the culprit. Through the process of elimination, I found that shutting down uTorrent would allow my 'System' and 'Idle Process' to return to normal.

I only have Windows Firewall and no other programs that are listed as "possible" problems. I would include an image of my running tasks but I can't figure out how to get the screen capture into this message.

I also read about problems when your drive is stuck in PIO mode, which for me, is true. My main drive is stuck in PIO mode, while my second drive is in UDMA-6 mode. I always use my second drive for files and such, while my C: drive is for actual programs. So, I moved uTorrent from C: to D: in hopes that it would rememdy my situation. But to no avail...

So... would my C: being stuck in PIO mode still have an impact on a program running off my D: that is downloading / uploading files off D:?

This problem also seems to resolve itself (at least for a little while) once I have restarted my computer. But it re-appears after running for a while... closing then re-opening uTorrent has no impact, only a fresh restart does.

I also was using a stand-alone version of uTorrent. I uninstalled / deleted it and did a fresh install with a downloaded version from the uTorrent site (restarting my computer in between, of course).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love uTorrent and have been racking my brain on how to solve this. My next step is to do a fresh install of Windows in hopes that I can get my C: unlocked from PIO mode (which I have been unable to do). I will probably do that in the near future time anyways since my drive is locked and thus must be impacting my system performance.

Any help? Thanks!

No, I haven't tried to remove the IDE channel. Would that not cause a problem considering the IDE channel in question controls my system HD? I'll give it a try... maybe I'll just "uninstall" and it'll immediately "detect new hardware?" Hmmm... thanks for the tip.

Well, thanks a lot for the help. I'm glad someone else knew that I wouldn't have much to worry about by removing the channel. So, yes, it re-installed just fine and now my HD is back in UDMA-5 instead of PIO... thank god. :)

Now... to see if uTorrent stops acting all whack-ass. I'll let ya know tomorrow how its doing. :) Thanks again!

Well, its a day later and it seems to be doing better. No longer is my CPU being constantly maxxed out... now it mostly fluctuates between 30 - 70%... pretty much all over the place, bouncing up and down. But hardly reaches 100% now... still, when I shut down uTorrent, my CPU usage drops to 0 - 10%. Anything else I should be checking for? Thanks again for your help.

Antivirus/antispyware or a software firewall may be "reading" each networking packet, either to block/allow it based on whether such packets (or destinations) are allowed. Such activities, even when they block nothing, can add a much higher CPU overhead to µTorrent's traffic.

I have no anti-virus or anti-spyware software running... nor any software firewall, other than the built in Windows firewall. {shrug} I just can't figure this out completely... The PIO mode fix did help, but my computer still seems to be bogged down more than it should running uTorrent. Guess maybe I should look at doing a re-load this weekend. Any other tips? Thanks again for all the help.

You can download Process Explorer from Sysinternals and get a clearer look at what program is using all those CPU...I have had that same problem and Process Explorer showed me that my AV program was the culprit...

I have read that you don't have an AV program installed (which is not that wise), but maybe there is another program that you have installed that may be doing this...

Archived