UPnP not working well

thany

I'm running µTorrent 1.6.1 on XP-SP2 with the firewall disabled. No other firewall has been installed, so firewall can't be the problem. UPnP is enabled and working on my NAT-router, proven by the fact that other applications using UPnP work just fine (Miranda IM, for example). If it helps to track down the problem, my router is a SpeedTouch 546i version 5.4.0.11.

I'd like to help by giving more information, but µTorrent doesn't seem to reveal the HTTP-requests/responses that makes up the UPnP-functionality...

• 2 weeks later...

Of course if I forward the port to the PC it works perfectly... but it kinda defeats the purpose of UPnP. Also, my PC's get IP-adresses through DHCP, so that too will have to stop.

What if I use Wireshark to see what's going on between µTorrent and the router, would that help?

You *might* be right, all I see happening is this:

M-SEARCH * HTTP/1.1\r\n

Request Method: M-SEARCH

Request URI: *

Request Version: HTTP/1.1

HOST: 239.255.255.250:1900\r\n

ST:upnp:rootdevice\r\n

MAN:"ssdp:discover"\r\n

MX:3\r\n

\r\n

And then nothing. 5 seconds or so after this the log says "Unable to map UPnP Port." as if the router doesn't even respond. Maybe my router only listens on TCP/2869, while the above request was made on UDP/1900 (the other UPnP port). But I can't be sure...

Why does µTorrent stick with just UDP/1900 anyway, instead of trying both ports before erroring out?

In any case, what do you recommend on further examining this problem?

• 1 month later...

Alright, so now I have another router :)

It's the Netgear FWG114P and UPnP is proven to be working. It shows one UPnP-mapping at port 1325 for Miranda IM, so this proves UPnP does work... Yet µTorrent continues to show "Unable to map UPnP Port".

I looks that way, but 1.7 does provide more info:

[01:43:36]  UPnP: Discovered new device: http://192.168.10.2:80/upnp/service/WANIPConnection
[01:43:36] UPnP: ERROR -3 mapping port 6881 -> 192.168.10.21:6881; Deleting Mapping and trying again
[01:43:36] UPnP: ERROR -3 removing port 6881
[01:43:36] UPnP: ERROR -3 mapping port 6881 -> 192.168.10.21:6881
[01:43:47] Unable to map NAT-PMP Port.

So uhm, "error -3" means something useful?

//edit

Still happening in 1.7 beta build 1875... Is there any progress, or more info you need from my end, because I'll happily provide it.

Archived