initial seeding is too slow < 3kB/s

granillo1234

My normal upload speed isn't great, usually only around 30kB/s but I'm trying to upload a torrent for the first time and the seed is only around 3kB/s or less. It is a rather large size of 4.13 Gb so from what i read I am using the initial seeding option but I tried regular as well and no help. I am using a wrt54gs router with the port forwarded already. I also tried the xp sp2 tcp/ip fix but that didn't help either. I just want to give back to the torrent community but I don't want people to have to wait 1+ weeks to get it uploaded. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

My speed test results are 1204 kbps down and 124 kbps up.

initial seeding isn't meant to get faster speeds then normal seeding. Its meant so you don't upload the same pieces over and over again if more then one peer is connected to you. so your maximum seeded pieces till one complete piece is out in the swarm doesn't take as long as with normal seeding.

if you just have ~124 kilobitspersecond then your max (normal) upload could only be ~15,5 KB (124/8)

and if your peers are BitComets and you are the only seeder with initial seeding it, those moron clients don't play well with you. just add their IP into ipfilter.dat and let themself kill them while they disconnect from you every few minutes.

Thanks for your response, I could live with 15kB/s but even still I only get on average < 3kB/s which isn't the norm. It seems like since I am the only seeder that somehow it's capping my upload? Am I really going to have to seed this for more than a week and a half? Plus, usually I consistantly get at least > 25 kB/s. Thank you for all your help.

if you say your internetspeed is ~124kbps it is technicly NOT possible that you have uploadrates of 25 kilobytes like you claim!

its mathematics 8 bits = 1 byte =124 kilobits per second devided by 8 is never ever 25!

Edit: you are aware that you must choose in the drop down menue CTRL+G something in the region of xx/128k. not something in the xx/1mbit range from your downloadspeed, aren't you?

by any chance, maybe you have choosen wrong settings there to begin with?

I don't have it set at 1mbit, as of right now I have it set at 512 because this caps the upload to 47 kB/s and I do, usually, get upload speeds greater than 15 kB/s. I understand the math as well, but I'm just stating what I see. I believe that part of the problem may be that I have cable internet so I am sharing the bandwidth. But I have never encountered this problem even during peak usage. Is there any quick way to increase my upstream bandwidth? Please let me know

If you cannot sustain your upload speed max, then your settings are too much for your connection.

If a speed test says you have 124k upload bandwidth like you said, you almost certainly don't have 512k upload bandwidth...and setting µTorrent to upload that fast slows you and everyone you connect to down.

I set it as that because there it capps it at 47kB/s which is the closest to what I usually sustain. I'm fully aware that I don't have 512 upload, I'm assuming that is download? xx/512k is the setting it is on. I just wanted to know if anyone knows why when i'm the only seeder it goes slower uploading than if there are many seeders. That's the only thing that is different not my other settings which I have used for quite awhile now. I appreciate the comments but that's the only thing that seems to be different, the fact that I'm the original uploader.

Archived