Night = 100 KBytes/s : Day = 40 KBytes/s : Evening = 5 KBytes/s

quaternions

Speeds : Night = 100 KBytes/s : Day = 40 KBytes/s : Evening = 5 KBytes/s

Why do my speeds vary so much throughout the day? It's baffling. I connect to about the same number of peers regardless of the time of day (about 120), but in the evening in particular they don't send me any data. This has been going on for a month or more.

I thought as much. I've tried just about everything so there are few options left. The only thing i haven't done is reinstall windows and reset my router to factory settings, but i'll probly do that just to make sure. They must have some cunning software to able to differentiate between torrents with forced encryption and ordinary browsing.

My speed has been about 5 KBytes/s all evening and it is slowly building now. In half an hour i'll be doing 100 KBytes/s. BT recently changed their T&C's from 40 GB download to Unlimited with fair usage. I can pull in more than 40 GB a month now (even like this) but i can't in the evening which is when i want it most. I'll have to get what i want over night. Thanks for your comment.

I have it enabled and always have done. I've tried forcing it in the evening but without any effect. I've forwarded the ports, even tho upnp worked fine, tried different clients, toasted every bit of software, update or otherwise since the problem arose, disabled the vista firewall, unistalled anti virus, clean reinstalled utorrent, done everything in your sig, reset the router, altered DHT, and most of the outside chance relevant settings like lazy bitfield.

And on cue my speed is now 40 Up, 30 down which is fairly standard, it'll go 100+ in about an hour. I wish i could think of something else...

To get µTorrent to automatically change, you'll probably have to use all of Scheduler's different modes. Full speed (at night), limited (when stuck at 40 KB/sec), seed-only (for part of the 5KB/sec times), and stop all traffic (for the 5 KB/sec hour/s you want to heavy web surf.)

Luckily the capping by my ISP doesn't affect my web surfing or other activities at all. In the evening when torrents are being capped at 5 KBytes/s i could go and get a game demo and download it at 600 KBytes/s at the same time. This is what threw me because the software to differentiate like this must be very sophisticated and i didn't even know it was possible. It's now 1.30am and my torrents are zapping in at 250 KBytes/s which is about half my total bandwidth. I'll be back to 5 KBytes/s tomorrow evening.

Well, the network is overloaded usually in evening hours so even uncapped your downloads can be worse then but yes, BT is throttling.

On the other hand - how thoughtfull of them leaving you uncapped for night and partially only capped through day. Really, no sarcasm intended. I bet all the ISPs which throttle torrent could easily afford to uncap their users at least for the late night hours, yet they don't do this because they are too lazy to setup it - eventually they don't give a sh*t about their clients.

Archived