UPX LZMA compression

dexterm

Why don't you guys use UPX with LZMA compression? It gives the smallest file size ever and is much more stable than PECompact.

438,341 utorrent-1.7-beta-1137.uncompressed.exe

217,088 utorrent-1.7-beta-1137.upx.exe

203,776 utorrent-1.7-beta-1137.pecompact.exe

202,752 utorrent-1.7-beta-1137.upx.lzma.exe

Edit: With the --ultra-brute option, I got:

• 4 weeks later...

@Saribro, that's not the point. We are rooting for UPX because it's free, open-source and the EXEs compressed by UPX are much more stable than than PECompact.

PECompact always had an advantage because it used to compress better than UPX. But finally, UPX has caught up with times and it compresses better than PEC in both normal and LZMA compressions.

Therefore, UPX is the clear winner here and it should be preferred over PEC.

We are rooting for UPX because it's free, open-source and the EXEs compressed by UPX are much more stable than than PECompact.

No you're not, you've been saying size, size, size...

1)UPX is free: Hardly relevant to anyone but the µT-devs?

2)open-source: Well, some people really, really care, but frankly, is it relevant even to the devs?

3)stability: ...data?...

4)AV: See Firon's post.

So it's essentially between 3) and 4), if it's equal between UPX and PEC, we're still down to 0.5% in size.

2)open-source: Well, some people really, really care, but frankly, is it relevant even to the devs?

Not even just the devs -- to the users, that's entirely irrelevant as well. If open-source were a relevant point, then an open-source BitTorrent client should be used instead, as µTorrent's source code is closed pretty tight.

@Firon:

Do you have any comparative data as to actually how many AVs out there detect PECompact and UPX as malware?

I've done a scan on virustotal.com of PEC compressed and UPX compressed uTorrent, and both of them show that only 4 AVs detected UPX and PEC. A scan on virusscan.jotti.org showed that not a single AV detected either of them as malware.

Of course, they don't cover all the AVs in the market, so it'll be nice if we could have some data on this from your end.

@Firon

Make sure you're not comparing UPX with NRV compression to PECompact with LZMA. The rate of false positives might be different between the compression methods.

I don't see why UPX shouldn't be used; in my experience its more reliable than PECompact and has a better compression ratio. It also allows users to decompress the program if loading time is more important than executable size.

Archived