Any need to update Ipfilter oftenly?

youthfire

I'dont know whether set the ipflter option enable or disable.From google,I was informed of Ipfilter.dat maybe means banning IP from far region for getting more effective connection.(quicker download speed?).

Any need to disable it if I am in a country far away from the country uTorrent discoverd?If enable it,is there any need to update it more often and how?

Any reply is welcomed

I was informed of Ipfilter.dat maybe means banning IP from far region for getting more effective connection.(quicker download speed?).

This is assbackwards thinking.

Just because they're far away, doesn't mean they don't have high bandwidth.

Using IPFilter to restrict yourself to nearby peers is just asking for slower speeds.

Thank you for ur reply.

Maybe it's not really correct to refuse all the "far connection".But techniquelly speaking only,the more opportunity of getting more bits u will get when u do a connection neaby.is it right? what i said is just a probability.

I could agree with u partly.what u said is just in such a situation.

for eg.

A guy in Mississippi ristrict himself nearby and refuse the bits from New York.Of course he'll lose the chance to get download quickly 'cos nothing could get this time from Mississippi.But when u encounter this option:10 connections from New York or 10 connections from Asia region. It is common total speed from 5 connections from Asia is less than 1 connection form New York.The point is u waisted connections and lose the chance

µTorrent already automatically attempts to find faster connections anyway, so even if connections are "wasted," it's only until µTorrent next tries another peer. Additionally, those 5 connections to the Asian peers aren't necessarily wasted connections if the 1 peer from New York choked you.

Anyhow, you can't always generalize and say that Asian peers are slow. Many South Koreans and Japanese people have ultra-fast connection along the lines of 10-100mbit/s -- can you say that's slow or a waste of a connection to be connected to them?

And you probably already allow 20 or more connections per torrent. Bad connections tend to break on their own, especially if there's little/no active downloading or uploading between the 2 ips (yours and theirs). Good connections tend to persist longer, and needs little "encouragement" from µTorrent beyond what's already in the BitTorrent protocol to get alot out of them.

Ipfilter.dat DOES need to be updated if you are regularly having problems with mass hashfails due to torrent corrupters. But "regularly" is once a month at most, unless you're the one manually sifting through the ip lists to find the bad ones.

Archived