8meg broadband

stezza

There is no such thing as an "expected minimum" downloadspeed with BT since it depends how many peers can upload how fast. If there are enough of them, you can technicly max out your downloadbandwith specially with legal torrents like the open office. but if you get for example 800kB/s depends also if your ISP throttles the line for torrenting and if you have choosen the right value in CTRL+G.

Note that it is probably not more then xx/1Mbit more likely less you must choose there. So check your settings before you suspect your ISP of throttleing.

Hi there I have my upload set to 186KB/s Upload Slots 8. xx/2Mbit

Connections Per torrent 100. Global connections 750.

My port is forwarded with PFConfig. I have been onto Virgin about his and they have done loads of tests and they said it was a problem at their end on their Network which need updating. Here is my Online engineer chat script...I'm now closing the account.

Benedict Hi, Welcome to Virgin Media Chat and Remote Assistance. My name is Benedict. How may I help you?

User Hi

Benedict Hello.

User I have been here a few time today but still have the same problem

User I have been trying to do the BT speedtests to create fault

User I have logged on useing speedtest@speedtest_domain

Benedict And what happens when you try to run the speedtest?

User (and http://217.32.105.42, http://217.35.209.142

User I get his error...

User You appear to be logged in as speedtest@speedtest_domain,however for the initial performance test can you please not use a BT test account or the Speedtester login.

Benedict What happens when you run the initial test on your logon?

User Please reconfigure your service to use your normal DSL account.If you are unsure how to do this or think this message is in error,

User My login works fine and have done 7 tests

Benedict Where any of those results below 400k?

User No

User But my problem is that I only have a 55kbps download speed

User lowest was 401

Benedict Do you mean downstream thoughput rate, or downloading files at 55kbps?

User downloading files

Benedict Where are you downloading these files from?

User all sorts FTP and P2P

User I use ftp for my business sending and downloading large animation files to client and have noticed that I cant go above 55kbps. It used to be 200-500

User even microsft updates take forever

Benedict Thats more likely to be a problem of latency, whats your ping like?

User 26ms on bbc.co.uk and 46ms on my own website

Benedict Can you do a tracert for me to those?

User you lost me now

Benedict Its like a ping, but gives more information on the route taken, so instead of writing ping www you would type tracert www.whatever.com

User ok will give it a go

Benedict While you're doing that I run a quick line test.

User 1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1

User 1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1

User 2 32 ms 26 ms 27 ms popl-bam-1.inet.ntl.com [194.145.148.76]

User 3 44 ms 45 ms 41 ms popl-t3core-1a-ge-110-0.inet.ntl.com [62.255.81.

User 4 23 ms 26 ms 28 ms pop-bb-a-so-210-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.174.234]

User 5 31 ms 27 ms 29 ms pop-bb-b-ge-000-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.174.230]

User 6 34 ms 38 ms 43 ms gfd-bb-a-so-010-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.172.137]

User 7 79 ms 70 ms 59 ms gfd-bb-b-ge-000-0.inet.ntl.com [213.105.172.6]

User 8 78 ms 62 ms 59 ms tele-ic-1-so-110-0.inet.ntl.com [62.253.185.78]

User 9 27 ms 29 ms 28 ms 212.58.238.189

User 10 65 ms 79 ms 80 ms 212.58.238.149

User 11 48 ms 51 ms 51 ms www31.thdo.bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.82]

User Done

Benedict Which sort of router do you use to connect?

User Netgear

User MTU set to 1458

User Tried my old DLink as well but same download speed

Benedict What speed does the netgear show itself as connected at?

User 7104

User upstream 448

Benedict I think the problem we have here is one of the network. It may be worth lowering the MTU to 1400. But the speed difference between sync speed and throughput does point to Virging's network.

User OK

User my worry is that I will change it to 1400 but will still have the same problem and will have to go over all this again

User What can you do to have a look at Virgins network

Benedict Can I just take your phone number there, and I'll run a quick check on something.

User xxxxxxxxx

Benedict The exchange itself looks to be ok, which means the throughput is probably being lost over our network. Which is something that we are aware of and are working to fix.

User emm. Any idea on how long this would take

User it's been like it since i changed my package May 7th

Benedict To be honest no I do not know, but it does seem very strange that the slowi downloads coincided. Have you rebooted the router since then?

User yeah rebooted, new firmware, disconnected the line

User even tried another modem

Benedict Which all implies a problem with our network is causing the slow download speed.

User Whats my next step?

Benedict : Well try the MTU change. If that doesn't work then you would need to wait for the network to be upgraded.

User OK I will try that and when is it likley that the Network upgrade will take place? If it's going to take another few weeks I may have to do the inevitable

Benedict It may take that long, or longer. I really do not know how long it will take.

User OK thanks for your help

User I'll cacel the account

Benedict Ok. If thats what you want to do. Do you want the cancellations number?

Benedict its 0845 045 0709

User OK thanks Over and out

Benedict Bye for now.

Lesson one dont use the new virgin media bundles.. Over and Out

Selecting an improper setting for your connection creates more bottlenecks in the form of connection overload and/or wasted bandwidth with peer communication. Assuming your upload rate really is 448kbit/s, then select xx/384k in the Speed Guide and increase the upload rate limit by approximately 5KiB/s.

http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/index.html

How does a torrent from here run?

Yeah I turned that on its got to be a problem with the ISP and they have admitted it, It's a shame as I have been with them and have had a perfect ISP set up for 5 years. Since Virgin.net started their new Bundle packages, it's all gone down hill.

Archived