Vista Crashing Problem...

maree464

Hi everyone...

Vista seems to freeze up on me and then I get the blue screen of death as I have heard it called, only when using utorrent (once turned on it will run anywhere from 1 minute up to an hour or so before freezing up...I have looked in the faq area but still need some help.

I have a integrated nvidia graphics card so I am not sure how the firewall works with that. I use mcafee anti virus along with vista firewall.

I have restricted the number of global connections to 100

DHT is turned off

UPnP is turned off (in the client and in the router)

I am port forwarding and it tested good

These last 2 I am not sure how to do....I have a netgear WPN824v2 router

Lowering net.max_halfopen and bt.connect_speed

Putting the modem/router into bridge or gateway mode (doesn't apply to modems that aren't routers)

Thanks for any help....I would love to keep using this program.

I am running vista ultimate 64, and I have the nvidia 7950 gt oc graphics card, actually I am running 2 in SLI. The driver for that card, and bunch of others, has caused me so many problems it is not even funny. I would get the blue screen of death just like you said, I ended up taking out 2 gb of ram, and now everything is working fine. It atleast gives you something else to think about. They have a few pretty good articles on their site. What does the error message say specificly

Thanks for all your help....I finally fixed my problem. Even though I went into device manager and it said all my drivers were up to date....I downloaded a driver update program that said I had 3 out of date drivers and after I downloaded them it has worked great. I have had utorrent on for over 72 hours straight and not once have I had a problem with it giving me the blue screen. I am not uploading as well as I would like but I am going to post that in another post. Thanks again.

• 6 months later...

Vista only crashes for me when I have uTorrent open, usually within 10-20 minutes of opening it. I have updated all of my drivers to their latest updates according to Driver Magician.

Here is the message given to me upon Windows restart:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: d1

BCP1: 00000000

BCP2: 00000002

BCP3: 00000000

BCP4: 8B68D8C4

OS Version: 6_0_6000

Service Pack: 0_0

Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini121007-02.dmp

C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-32651-0.sysdata.xml

C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\WERB3D3.tmp.version.txt

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to stop Vista from crashing?

Thank you very much!

Ahhh, well it's just that there are specific crashes reported on Vista or x64 or dual-core setups... I don't blame the devs for these, as they are bound to happen with a new OS. Sure Vista is almost a year old but it simply doesn't have as high an adoption rate as XP did.

(My bet would be more would have adopted it if they didn't skin the thing starting after Alpha 5... I want WinFS!!!!)

You see, the "fix" I think has to do with buffering or data i/o... You'd need to get more specifics to diagnose it. And in that case, if you'd not mind help testing the latest 1.8 line on vista and reporting problems.. feel free to check it out here.

Hmm, I'll consider trying 1.8, thanks.

edit:

Thank you! I installed 1.8, and it has completely stopped this problem!

I recommend everyone else try 1.8 - it carries all settings and torrents over flawlessly!

edit: Sorry, but nevermind - the problem still happens when I have multiple torrents downloading at fast speeds. Limiting the transfer rate seems to somewhat lessen the problem...

Archived