Download pieces in rarest first order

nozomi

this has also been requested before :P

The reason I asked for this option because from my observation with an almost pure Bitcomet swam, I found very often that download stopped because of no single 100% seeder online and every client stopped at the same amount of completed % and even missing pieces are the SAME for everyone by looking at the graph. I would expect "Download pieces in rarest first order" is never implemented in Bitcomet (I think this is available in Azureus?", otherwise, people should easy get different incomplete pieces from different client and complete the download even if no "seeder" is available for awhile.

Yep this is one of the biggest problems in p2p networx like eMule/eDonkey, where some people get online with a "hot release" , limit connections to 1 and quit just when s.o. downloads 99.9%. This is a some form of an advertisment. Everybody know that there is such a release but it is actually not publically available. Some people use it to quickly correct their U/D ratio without giving out something it is very unethical, but u cant stop them.

The problem with the incomplete downloads is not in the rarity but in the uploader's ethics. For the very first download all the parts would be rare (if there is a 1 upload connection limit). The protocol cant prevent that.

You just have to be careful and be sure the "availability" number of the file is 1+ before starting the download.

Archived