When Stop means Stop!

OkoIko

I note that when I sometimes have to shut down, and must stop Seeding/DLing, I Pause everything, wait until uT shows everything has ceased, then exit and shut down my comp.

I dedicated a one 1Ghz, 1G RAM computer to uTorrent. I don't download much any more, but do seed what I have - and I would appreciate it if when I need to shut down, that those trying to download from me, Pause or Stop when I put a Pause or Stop on a file or files, or the whole computer.

Yet, I can see that uT users out there are still knocking at the modem door, looking to finish that file they started because, Stop or Pause isn't understood at their end.

This causes drag on my modem, and other comps I have running doing other things and yes, downloading but of email, web page browsing and because some are still hammering away at my modem, the Internet becomes terminally slow! It takes a few hours before the uT downloads stop knocking, probably because they shut down their uT and went to bed or school.

I looked through feature requests and didn't come across such a feature that would signal the downloaders that this particular seed is NOT available and to stop hounding the port - so, maybe it is a feature and I just don't know how to use it - is that it :rolleyes: ?? or is such a Feature coming?

There is no way to do this. That's just how BitTorrent is -- you hand your IP to the tracker, the tracker hands your IP to other users, and the other users can attempt to connect to you at their own leisure (whenever they feel like doing so), without first notifying you. Just because you disconnected doesn't mean they're all informed about it.

The way you want it, it's as if you're saying you should call everyone who has your number just to tell them you're shutting your phone off. The problem is, how do you know how far your number has spread? How do you know which of your friends or family members passed your number to other friends or relatives (whose numbers you may not have)? What you want just isn't feasible.

What you want just isn't feasible.

I will take your word for it being similar to a telephone number - but your analogy seems self-serving. If, using your analogy, everyone has my number, and they must if they are downloading from me and if they are using uT, and are downloading, it shouldn't be hard for uT to look at the incomong data @ their end and and it's alarm go off if uT says 'send the next 1024 bytes (or whatever) plus CRC' and doesn't get it, or my Pausing or Stopping sends a header that says remove my number. Then, I've only talked to those that as you point out, have my number. Or, after the let's say 3rd no-data, that signals uT to look at dropping that IP# from the list or at least, stop hammering for a hours and try again then - repeating that cycle until the file is done, or the IP is back online.

That is as simple as the old x-modem or Kermit protocols.

It's enough to make one say - no more uploading/sharing.

Thanks for your input though.

OkoIko

Not all torrenters use µTorrent, not everyone gets their peerlists from trackers only nor updates them constantly. To carry on the phone analogy: Phone books aren't published every day, it takes time till the next release before people can start realising you're not in it anymore.

The bittorrent protocol simply can't do what you ask of it.

In fact, Saribro's idea with the phonebook is an even better analogy than just a phone itself.

or my Pausing or Stopping sends a header that says remove my number

This is exactly what I said wasn't doable, and with good reason. Clients have a peer cache for a reason: so that they don't have to rely on the tracker. Just because you stop your torrent doesn't mean you're never coming back -- some people actually restart their computers. Clients eventually stop connecting anyhow, as you already noticed.

Or, after the let's say 3rd no-data, that signals uT to look at dropping that IP# from the list or at least, stop hammering for a hours

µTorrent isn't the only BitTorrent client out there. Even if µTorrent were made to behave like this, what about the millions of other users using other clients?

I'm not familiar with Kermit or XMODEM, but from descriptions I've seen, they're nothing like P2P.

µTorrent isn't the only BitTorrent client out there....

But it's the best one.

Thanks everyone. I guess if it isn't to be - it isn't - until another means of sharing appears. P2P is one way, maybe another will come out one day.

I guess it might also boil down to Client courtesy - that is, what I do, is if I see that any ETA has gone from ### to 00 (infinate), then I click Pause on it - when I'm dl'ing. Maybe I should do the same with Uping. Don't know if I'm helping the guys out at the other end free up Bwidth tho but I think I'm adding to my own speed.

Thanks everyone.

OkoIko

If your max connections per torrent (or global connections) has been reached, there may be BitTorrent clients that know your ip and cannot connect with you even before you paused/stopped the torrent and go offline. So they can be expected to keep trying.

Other peers/seeds got your ip from the tracker and may never have connected in the first place. They can be expected to retry your ip occasionally to see if you ever come back or get unfirewalled.

However I agree with you that behavior such as this should not be tolerated:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=23278

...but that's outside the scope of µTorrent (though µTorrent could auto-ban such ips) and needs to be dealt with better at the tracker level or with MAJOR changes in the BitTorrent protocol!

Another thing worth noting is that if clients had to inform everyone that they're disconnecting, then every time someone disconnected, the entire swarm would be spammed with "oh look user X is exiting, remove him from your peer list or stop attempting to connect" -- major overhead just for something minor like disconnecting from the swarm. I wouldn't expect abusive clients like BitComet to pay much attention to such messages either.

Archived