IP block list.

CyberWasted

Can somebody tell me if pasting a block ip list (in text document form) within the "%AppData%\uTorrent" file still works even if the names of the blocked companies are left infront of the ip ranges in the text list? Do I need to do anything more to ensure these are effectively blocked by Utorrent? I asked this question within a previous different topic post but failed to get a response. Any help would be most welcome.

Cheers

Ultima, do you know of any websites that give you the ip range block list without names infront? I got the level 1 ip block list from BlueTack, but there are approximately 1000+

ip ranges in the list all preceded by the name of the nasty ;-) corporation. To edit this list manually will take a week!

Thanks

If you want large-scale IP-blocking, ipfilter.dat probably isn't for you (and something more like PeerGuardian is). But then again, IP filtering is hardly helpful for anything other than swarm poisoning. Swarm poisoning generally comes from common ranges (you'll find some stuff on the forums about it).

To answer your question more directly: no, I don't know of any lists, as I don't use IP filtering.

Peer guardian was a great product for quite some time but the reason Im looking into using ipfilter.dat with ip filter list is because Peer Guardian started to block function of DHT updating (still don't know why this started after 6 months of use!) So I was only getting 1 node. Only able to fix this by deleting DHT.old.dat & DHT.DAT, disabling Peer Guardian, etc..etc..so Im currently searching for an effective alternative method of IP blocking. DAmn shame about Peer Guardian's incompatability, was a GREAT product while it lasted!!

cyberWasted: while i'm not sharing your classification about the "greatness" of PG, If you have problems that it bans an IP that you need (here the DHT bootstrap IP of µT) why don't you just permanently allow this IP in your blocking programm if it is such a great program like you claim?

you don't tell us you used a programm without knowing what it actually does and how you can influence its blocking behaviour, do you?

This would mean that PG is useless after all?!

i meant that you were saying that PG is(was) a great program but suddenly isn't anymore just because it had an IP in its list that is essential for the DHT functioning.

And that this argument of yours doesn't make much sense.

PG has a function to permanently allow IPs that do stand on their blocking list.

And the guys there used this technical feature as an argument why PG does not suck while it blocks so many usefull IPs per default.

So if you will was my question towards you intended as a kind of rhetorical one so you yourself might want to think about your classification that PG is "a great product" in the first place

No hard feelings or bad intentions towards you, cheers! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived