still recieving swarm when torrent is stopped.

boo

That's pretty insane, I've never seen so many blocks before in the span of one minute :lol: Changing your port was probably a good idea, but you still might wanna set µTorrent to use random ports if you're DMZed or something.

Glad I helped at least. :P

your not so often at public tracker right ;)

Anyway, the fact is that DHT for stopped torrent wastes bandwidth,

so there should be an option to turn it of for stop torrent.

But at default it can be turned on and if somone has a slow dsl or 56k,

he/she can turn it of to stopped torrents.

They have to turn DHT off -globally- for it to matter, this is what you don't get. When a torrent is stopped, it doesn't use DHT. At all. You're still connected to the DHT network no matter what, unless you completely turn off DHT. It's exactly the same in Azureus and BitComet.

They have to turn DHT off -globally- for it to matter, this is what you don't get. When a torrent is stopped, it doesn't use DHT. At all. You're still connected to the DHT network no matter what, unless you completely turn off DHT. It's exactly the same in Azureus and BitComet.

thats why I requested a feature to turn it of for for stopped torrent, because each torrent has its own DHT network right?

Nope. It's a global network. You can be (and are) connected to it even without any torrents loaded. The DHT network is separate from BT.

but every torrent have different amount of DHT users and DHT users in a swarm + if the network is global and all is connected, then the DHT network is extremly small, just a coupke of hundred users :P

No, you only see 200-300 users in the status bar because that's how many peers you're DIRECTLY CONNECTED to. :P The amount of peers you get in the DHT Status section of the General tab has nothing to do with how many you're connected to in µTorrent's status bar. Every user on DHT is a node, and each of these nodes (including yourself) works like a tracker, hence why you can get a thousand peers with a DHT announce but only be connected to 200. Every peer stores data about various torrents (up to 500 torrents or so), even ones they're not using themselves.

Your request can also be relayed through the network I believe, so it's not limited to just those you're connected to to get a peerlist.

If you turn off DHT for a torrent, that means it won't announce to the DHT network to get a peerlist. DHT itself is still active in the client.

The only way to disconnect from the network is by turning it off in the global options. The same is true for BitComet and Azureus, so it's not a bug.

If you turn off DHT for a torrent, that means it won't announce to the DHT network to get a peerlist. DHT itself is still active in the client.

The only way to disconnect from the network is by turning it off in the global options. The same is true for BitComet and Azureus, so it's not a bug.

ok, so if we had an option to turn of the "announce" for peerlist to the DHT network,

then the tracker will believe I have closed down the torrent =

it doesn't include me in the peerlist that it sends to others.

Archived