uTorrent 1.7 ignoring Upload cap?

aboredguy

First the evidence:

limit.jpg

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z268/aboredprogrammer/?action=view&current=limit.jpg

Second, wtf..... I set my Global upload cap to 20 from 48 so I could hop on and check my mail, etc and the speed started to go down to 20. Suddenly things got really bad and I look at uTorrent and it says the above.

Ver 1.6.1 never had this issue and I'd love it if someone could point me in the right direction as my ISP (Bellsouth) has a strange cap on upload, where, with my service, if my upload exceed about 50.5, they literally KILL (suddenly 0KB/s) my download.

So every time uTorrent freaks out like this, my download dies. What do I do guys?

*(Sorry if this is the wrong forum)*

*(Reads the above post)*

Ok, out of curiosity, I unchecked resolve IPs and found that the people that were getting around the upload cap were being identified as "on my network". This points to a possibly different bug entirely. The people getting around the cap had the IP of 192.168.2.1, which is the gateway of my router. They appeared to be using different clients (bitlord and bitcomet) so it's not a client thing. But really, I'm quite confused how I can upload anything to them (more than one person) if uTorrent thinks they all have the same IP which is my gateway.... Anyways.....

*(Enables local bandwidth cap...)*

Thanks Guys!

lol @ firon. Multicast broadcasts shouldn't reach the outside world from my simple internal network(192.168). Local peer discovery is turned off, but I'm still getting other clients connecting with the address of my gateway. In fact, it's kind of odd because I can see several different people showing up as that ip (192.168.2.1) and i figure they are different people because they cycle through a few different client names (bitlord and bitcomet), just back and forth.... Granted that local peer discovery is turned off and multicast broadcasts aren't supposed to get past a router to the outside world, what's going on? Banning my gateway may not be the best idea.. :D

Yes, they shouldn't, but if they are, it's not really our or µTorrent's problem. It'd be your router's problem for routing them. As for peers showing up with IPs within your subnet, they're worthless anyway, since you'd only be attempting to connect to some device on your network, and not real peers. That'd be the peer's fault for announcing their LAN IP to the tracker, and the tracker's fault for accepting the IP and passing it to you :o

At any rate, banning your gateway shouldn't have any adverse effects, as it isn't the connection's source to begin with.

Archived