Throttling (upload) speed

RockerAlex

Hey guys.

Today I found that when I set a limit on my upload speed, uTorrent would just ignore it and go on at whatever speed it was. I went into the uTorrent IRC channel and a nice guy (_rafi_) was able to help me out. He/she said that "it seems that it (uTorrent) treats remote peers as "local" peers" and that I should report this here.

So, there you go.

- Alex

Multicast: A multicast address is associated with a group of interested receivers. According to RFC 3171, addresses 224.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255 are designated as multicast addresses. This range was formerly called "Class D." The sender sends a single datagram (from the sender's unicast address) to the multicast address, and the routers take care of making copies and sending them to all receivers that have registered their interest in data from that sender.

µTorrent is using multicast. How the router actually routes the multicast message really isn't under µTorrent's control.

µTorrent uses a bunch of different ways of detecting local peers. The most obvious one is Local Peer Discovery. The other one that I know of is checking the subnet. I'm not sure if it also simply considers any RFC1918 IP as local. IINM, there might be other methods by which µTorrent is identifying local peers, but I'm not sure how (and I doubt they'd affect it). So the only possible cause for this that I can see is how the multicast request is being routed for LPD.

- "Analysis" from someone who hasn't seen the implementation

Archived