help with my d-link dir-655 wireless PLEASE!

comradelucifer

Hi guys,

I just recently switched to a new d-link dir-655 wireless router and have been having issues with my torrent speeds ever since. Ports are correctly forwarded, I get the green "your connection is working like it should" thing...all indications are that the program should be running fine.

The problem is that I cannot seem to get my download speeds to go above 15-20 kb/s. My download will spike really early- it will get around 80-100 kb/s, and then crap out and pull only 15-20. My connection also frequently gets dropped and picked up again very quickly and this only happens when attempting to download with utorrent. I can connect to about 20-50 seeders- so this should not be a factor.

I would really appreciate the help...I have been working on this all day and am extremely frustrated- like I say, all indications are green- the program should definitly be getting better speeds. I had a linksys befsr 41 before this and cannot believe that that antiquated technology works better than the d-link draft n.

any help will be greatly, GREATLY appreciated.

thanks,

CL

p.s. kinda new, don't know a ton of technical stuff but don't know too much...so I'd appreciate advice in as much laymen's terms as possible.

just ran a speed test-thought this might help:

latency to server: 29ms

download speed: 965 kb/s

upload speed: 98 kb/s

changed my speed settings to x1mbit, but still no change.

once again, thanks for the help in advance!

just got up today and reran the speed test

here are the results:

latency: 29ms

download speed: 4609 kb/s

upload speed 98 kb/s

what should I set the settings to?

is there anything else that could be causing this problem? The green light is still there, ports still forwarded properly.

thanks!

EDIT

speed test was done with peergaurdian2 and utorrent closed this time- could account for higher speeds.

I have the same router and I can't get it past a yellow light. It uploads fine, but won't download. What did you do to set up the port forwarding? I keep getting the error message:

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.

A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 63796 on 68.211.14.81...

Error! Port 63796 does not appear to be open.

Please see www.portforward.com for more information about how to map a port.

Please make absolutely sure that PeerGuardian2 or Protowall is allowing utorrent.com (72.20.34.145) in either of those programs. Those of you using ipfilter.dat should make sure the list does not include the website's IP. After making sure of this, re-run this test by refreshing the page (F5).

The IP address it gives in this message is for my ISP not my router. What am I doing wrong here?

here's what I did to forward the ports:

I went to the run command in the start menu, typed in cmd. a dos window will open. From here type in the command ipconfig/all. Info about your internet and router will appear.

Take note of the ip adress and the default gateway. open up internet explorer and type in the default gateway- this will get you to the router config page. default login is admin, leave password blank.

Then go to the advanced tab, then from there select port forwarding. After that, type in uTorrent in the name section, select the port you want to forward, make sure you have the same port forwarded as the one you will be using for utorrent (can set it up in the utorrent connection tab under preferences). Forward the port to your ip adress (which I told you to find in the dos window). After you have put in uTorrent as the name, chosen the port (making sure that it agrees with the port you chose for uTorrent), and forwarded that port to you ip adress, you should have the port correctly forwarded!

Also about my problem- I reran the speed test a few times, modified my settings to 33 kb/s max. global upload and x384 I am getting much better speeds (60-150 kb/s.) However, I am wondering if I should choose the next lowest setting due to the fact that my speed test showed that my upload speed is between 336-339 kb/s. I would really appreciate some advice- I really like to stabilize the speed in the 150-200 kb/s range.

Thanks,

CL

However, I am wondering if I should choose the next lowest setting due to the fact that my speed test showed that my upload speed is between 336-339 kb/s.

If you're not sure about your upload and your tests are indicating values something between the speed guide settings, I'd say this is the best time to do some manual tweaking. Simply try decreasing/increasing upload in the preferences and watch how it behave. Your goal is to make it maximally stable, yet the high as possible. Stable and high upload is the best friends of the high download.

I was wondering about this lvlord id 4226 patch- sounds like it can help increase speeds- does anyone think this give me higher speeds or stabilize my connections at higher speeds? I really don't know too much about half open ports, and I was wondering if this will help my problem.

Thanks for all the advice guys, it has helped a lot,

CL

http://infinite-source.de/az/az-calc.html

Use that to calculate your optimal connection settings. Also keep in mind that the speed test is probably reporting in kbps, while µTorrent's speed settings are in kBps. It's a factor of 8 which can't be ignored.

The LvlLord patch is for changing the limit on half-open connections. A lot of people advise that you change that in order to increase torrent speeds. If you're using Windows XP/Vista, it is limited to 8/2 respectively (if I remember correctly). I have never experienced that many half-open connections at any time, but if you feel it is necessary, patching it to 50 should more than suffice. If you do so, you will also have to change net.max_halfopen in advanced settings in µTorrent.

That is indeed correct, though it is rather pointless to patch TCPIP.sys to help torrent speeds if you aren't going to change the limit in the program. The only exceptions are if you are using other programs that cause half-open connections to be left half-open, or if you are being attacked by somebody attempting a SYN flood (or similar) attack. Perhaps I'm missing something, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Or just other applications that have and reach/use a high half-open connection limit (if any); they don't have to be leaving connections half-open, they just need to be using enough to surpass the TCPIP.sys limit. But yeah, that's the basic idea :P

Increasing net.max_halfopen serves very little purpose for most people anyway, so yeah, patching TCPIP.sys is usually pointless.

Thanks for the advice on the patch guys.

I had manually tweaked the .net_half_open to a value of 80 (saw this on a similar post, thought it would help- probably won't do much of anything if I don't patch it. I'm still kinda confused- is it worth patching the TCPIP.SYS and setting it to 50 or 80, or should I just leave it alone.

I'm going to try that optimal speed testing link you gave me Ultima- thanks a lot for the link.

Once again, thanks for the advice guys- you have been a big help

If you're not having problems with your connection dropping every now and then while using µTorrent, then patching TCPIP.sys is generally useless. And remember, net.max_halfopen must *always* be set to *at most* 80% of the TCPIP.sys limit, although really, it shouldn't need to be even that high either in most cases.

Archived