UTorrent slowing down Internet

ShuhornOplenty

Everytime I use Utorrent, the internet slows down durastically...When I close it, it works fine; in fact its very fast. I searched on the other posts and I:

Disabled IP Resolve

Disabled DHT (and restarted)

Disabled UPnP

Lowered the global maximum number of connections to 60

restarted the router

Still nothing for me. I run SP2 as well as have no anti-spyware software.

Negative, slipstream....I mean, it's indifferent.

To Nos_slived, it happens when uTorrent is up and running at ALL times.

I also ran the *patch* for SP2 users. Still nothing.

I also tested my internet speed. These are the results:

W/ uTorrent on: 418/38

W/O uTorrent on: 1184/78

This is very weird and frustrating.

"W/O uTorrent on: 1184/78"

So you only have 78 kilobits/sec upload speed as measured by speed tests.

That's painfully low for "broadband". You may be having serious issues with it...because you're probably supposed to get 128 kilobits/sec or more upload speed.

Right now, your best bet is only xx/64k in Speed Guide...though you may be able to increase upload speed to 6 KiloBYTES/sec to avoid download limited.

ShuhornOplenty,

Your ISP (Verizon?) may have throttled your line recently due to exceeding daily/monthly bandwidth quotas.

Or your DSL line is damaged in some way and needs to be repaired/replaced!

But either way, you're NOT getting anywhere near the 768 kilobits/sec UPLOAD Speed setting you're trying to use in µTorrent. ...Barely 1/10th of that in fact.

Have you also tried disabling the local peer discovery features in µTorrent v1.7.2?

"Ouch. But why were you setting /768k while actually having just /78k?"

I had my friend, who was really good set it for me. He asked me if I had cable, I said,"Yes"; so he said 768k was my standard.

And it seemed right, I have been using this setting since September '06. Nothing has been a problem, and I've gotten seeds close to 300kb/s. Just lately it's been slow....

"If that's the case, connection settings are completely irrelevant. If there are no torrents loaded, µTorrent shouldn't be making any connections at all, with the exception of update checks."

I had 8 torrents uploading, but when I saw the speed post I deleted 7 of them. So I am currently uploading just one torrent.

"ShuhornOplenty,

Your ISP (Verizon?) may have throttled your line recently due to exceeding daily/monthly bandwidth quotas.

Or your DSL line is damaged in some way and needs to be repaired/replaced!

But either way, you're NOT getting anywhere near the 768 kilobits/sec UPLOAD Speed setting you're trying to use in µTorrent. ...Barely 1/10th of that in fact.

Have you also tried disabling the local peer discovery features in µTorrent v1.7.2?"

Well, I do share this line with 4 other PC's?

I have a question, if I put the setting at 64kk, then will I ever reach speeds over 100kb/s. I mean, like I said earlier, "768k, I was getting close to 2-300 sometimes on good seeds"?

Thank you guys for all the support!

Archived