Newbie... please go easy!

sythai

Hello there...

If this has been covered before I apologise in advance. Have been using Utorrent for a few weeks now with no problems, still trying to understand everything, is going to take a while as I am definately not very computer/torrent wise just yet!

Everthing was going fine until I had to re-install my 'atheros wireless network driver' then I went on to speed guide to do a port test and got this:

'Error! Port 34181 does not appear to be open'

Have been sent a link by a collegue to try a resolve the problem :

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Belkin/F5D7632-4/Utorrent.htm

Done everything as listed and still no joy ? Also have tried turning off my firewall (PC Tools Firewall Plus version 2.0.0.25) even though never had to do this before had this problem? And still no good.

.... as this causing everything to run a lot slower I have set my download speed @ 30Kb/s and upload to unlimited? To stop my ratio from falling too much? I'm really not sure if this is the right thing to do, just guessing - am I doing this right?

ISP: Plusnet

Router: Belkin F5D7632-4

Computer: Samsung R20

Platform: Windows Professional XP version 2002

.... Just one more thing, down at the bottom of the screen is 'DHT : waiting to log in' what is this please ?

Many Thanks,

Simon

Haven't tried uninstalling firewall yet .... will give it a go thank you. Just cant understand why it didnt cause a problem before I re-installed my 'atheros wireless network driver' ?

If I understand correctly should I get rid of my firewall completely? If so what protects my computer from viruses etc?

.... As for "When you set up the static IP, did you find out your router's DHCP range and set your IP outside it but in the same net block?" I'm not too sure what you mean or how I would do this? Sorry not being ignorrant, just not to clued up on this yet!

Many Thanks,

Simon

I've found DHCP settings as below:

DHCP server > OnOff (on is selected)

The DHCP server function makes setting up a network very easy by assigning IP addresses to each computer on the network. It is not necessary to make any changes here. More Info

IP Pool Starting Address > . . . xxx.xxx.x.xxx

IP Pool Ending Address > . . . xxx.xxx.x.xxx

What do I need to change here?

Getting lost here, thought that was my routers IP address.......... really do appreciate your time and trying to help me. Think I am going to have to wait until my mate comes back from hols, he knows more about this than me. It will probably take him about 10 mins to sort it out with the lap top in front of him!

Well I gave it a try.... there really is more to this torent stuff than meets the eye!

Regards,

Simon

Archived