suggestions for performance increase

al

1) In the list of peers I always find some users in the net of my provider or another provider in my area. But utorrent hardly uses them although they are the perfect connection. The performance should be fine and the provider would not hate p2p that much because of the cheap internal traffic.

Can´t utorrent prioritize them automatically or let the user do it?

2) Another performance enhancing feature I thought of, is a kind of multicast traffic like web-radios. A seeding peer announces multicasts at a specified time to the tracker which informs all leechers to connect to that transmission. In this way a single 50k/s upload would result in several mb/s downloads. If it´s allready supported, the performance is not as good as I would expect.

1. latency (and locality to your ISPs) does not have any effect on the speed. A peer in sweden might be faster than one in canada, even when you live in canada.

2. multicast currently doesn't support SSM for domestic users, hence it would be useless.

i dont have your 1) problem..

The8472, some ISPs dont limit their internal traffic..

my ISP serves more than 5 towns.. we are connected to the capital and they pay to another ISP there for external traffic (with the rest of the country and the rest of the world), which means that when i transfer with someone within the area of these towns and he's on that same ISP we dont leave those boundaries.. no external traffic to pay to the other ISP in the capital..

i can hit 100 Mbit/s with anyone within the area, and only 4 Mbit/s with external peers..

if your ISP-local peers are faster than foreign peers then bittorrnet clients will naturally pick the faster peers over time. so it's not necessary either. My point was that there would be no performance gain if local peers are equally fast or possibly slower (which often is the case) than other peers.

• 1 year later...

> 2. multicast currently doesn't support SSM for domestic users, hence it would be useless.

Can you explain this more? What is SSM? I've been reading a little bit on uFTP which is a multicast FTP. I like the idea that clients can subscribe and you can transmit one-time to multiple peers. Then re-transmit unreceived pieces after the first round. This would be very efficient for initial-seeding (super-seeding).

Archived