Upload ratio >= to what %?????

LordDavis

I use bit tornado and i get speeds of 155kb. I can set my upload speed to 4kb if needed (likeif my brother on the network wants to plas CS:source he can, and i can still download). My question is what % do i put in to make it upload at 4kb or so and what do i put in when i want to upload at full (25-28kb) when no one needs the net?

Also what options should i use for both download and upload when you right click on them in the main window and click Bandwidth allowence? (High, Normal, Low??)

The percantage sets the seeding goal, not the amount of bandwidth being used.

If you right click on the "D:" and "U:" parts of the statusbar (in the main window) you notice you can change speed limits on the fly. Just set U: to whatever you want normally, and you can change it to 4 if you wish so. You can customize the numbers on that list using the advanced options page.

Torrents default to Normal bandwidth allocation. All that does is decide which torrents (that are running together) gets more bandwidth first.

ok, so what % do i need to get the seeding goal? just lower the better? and if i want to seed i make it higher? (how high?)

Oh that stats bar is cool ! i didnt see it down the bottom. So just a few more Q ! (this is a cool program!)

Question 1: In the network options there is bandwidth limiting:

- What should the maxium limit be set at? 0 - and then use the stats bar to change on the fly?

- And why would u Alternate upload when download arnt used? i thought if u upload at ur max it wont slow u down??

Its a tad confusing, there is 3 options to limit upload (the Global maxium limit in network options), The % goal and then set a max upload value, and the right click on the fly stats bar!!! What do i use!!!

Set your Global Max Upload Rate to 80% of your connections upload speed. Set the alternate rate to 0, thus maxing your upload speed when not downloading as maxing upload out *does* slow d/loads.

If you want to limit the total of all your torrents upload speed to 4kb, put 4 in the Global Max Upload Rate field but I certainly wouldn't have more than one torrent uploading at that speed.

As chaosblade said, the percantage sets the seeding goal, not the amount of bandwidth being used. Thus a torrent will continue to seed until that percentage is met no matter what your upload speed.

Use the Torrent Properties (double click on the torrent) to set an upload speed for that particular torrent.

At this stage I wouldn't worry about the bandwidth allocation stuff :)

Your global upload speed should be set to 80% of your maximum actual speed. For example, if you can upload at 30 KB/s, you should cap your upload to 24 KB/s.

You can quickly set that cap in the status bar by right clicking on U:

If you need more precise settings, you can set it in Network Options, and you can also change gui.ulrate_menu to put in values of your own for the right click menu.

Both of these control the same option, they're just different ways of doing it. Use whichever one you like.

You shouldn't need to use High, Normal, or Low in the bandwidth priority settings.

You should always seed to a ratio of at least 1.000

The point of the "Alternate upload rate when not downloading" is that you don't have to limit it to 80% when you're not downloading, you can generally use a higher amount since you don't need that 20% to use on overhead for downloading.

ok, so what % do i need to get the seeding goal? just lower the better? and if i want to seed i make it higher? (how high?)

Oh that stats bar is cool ! i didnt see it down the bottom. So just a few more Q ! (this is a cool program!)

Question 1: In the network options there is bandwidth limiting:

- What should the maxium limit be set at? 0 - and then use the stats bar to change on the fly?

- And why would u Alternate upload when download arnt used? i thought if u upload at ur max it wont slow u down??

Its a tad confusing, there is 3 options to limit upload (the Global maxium limit in network options), The % goal and then set a max upload value, and the right click on the fly stats bar!!! What do i use!!!

No, the lower isnt the better. You will want to share back at least a full copy, meaning 100%. That doesnt involve bandwidth though.

set the maximum upload at 80% of your upload as said, and everytime you wanna limit it down to 4KB/s just use the status bar for that.

On certain types of connections, assymetric DSL (ADSL) for example, you cant use all of your upload without hurting your download (nature of TCP - protocol overhead requries some download bandwidth to be open).

i usually download a movie and upload at 5kb. then once its done i seed at 25-28 and dont download at all. But with 80% being upload speed will be 80% of my download, i was downloading at 4kb and uploading at 25 so hows that work?

Also does this program check for errors and re-download the file again liek bit tornado? i just dl a movie and some cd2 files were currupted :(

Every piece is checked after its downloaded, and is re-downloaded if its bad. I dont think uTorrent checks it again when its all finished though (some error might have caused the data to get corrupt during the RAM -> HDD transfer).

If you still have the torrent, just stop it and use Force Recheck.

You can only force a re-check with the torrent stopped. You should use it AFTER the torrent finishes.

If your full upload is 28 KB/s, you should limit µTorrent's upload to 22 KB/s while downloading. If it's 25, you should limit it to 20 while downloading.

Just a thought, why not let your router handle the needs of both puters? assuming you do have a router for 2 puters.

Check the QOS option in your router's admin interface. Set your p2p puter to low usage and the other puter to high usage. the router will allow more bandwidth for the p2p puter when no one else needs it. you might need a firmware upgrade if its not in there.

Archived