Download hangs near end

Mr. Black

First my apologies if this is a repetition of a thread, but the search function did not show any hits. I've also just downloaded the latest μTorrent version and I see something interesting regarding "stalled downloads" in the change section. I assume it is applicable to my case.

My case is:

DONE: 99.9%

SEEDS: 0 (11)

PEERS: 90 (3177)

DOWN SPEED: (almost) nil

UP SPEED: +50 kB/s

ETA: hours

AVAILABILITY: 0.999

Now, I am not THAT knowledgeable about computer tech stuff, but I usually find my way around (sometimes with a lot of hassle). Am I correct in assuming it is due to the absence of a connection to a seeder that availability is 0.999 and therefore the download is not finishing at the end when just a couple of little pieces are needed?

Really, I do not mind uploading data for a while to help out, but I dislike having to wait when the download is almost complete, as I wish to check out the stuff. Please, if you can, explain and advise.

EDIT:

Okay, so it is Availability. Besides going onto a site and asking for a reseed and besides waiting for a very long time, is there any way to accelerate the completion of the download?

EDIT2:

Okay, I didn't see your post yet. You beat me to it again :P

Am I correct in assuming it is due to the absence of a connection to a seeder that availability is 0.999 and therefore the download is not finishing at the end when just a couple of little pieces are needed?

You're close.

If the availability is less than 1, that means there is less than 1 total copy among the peers you're connected to.

Given the statistics you posted, it could be that the torrent is very young and has not yet reached the self-sustaining level yet. You should be able to complete if you wait it out.

I checked the site (regarding the relevant torrent) and it says there are about 900 seeds and a couple thousand downloaders. Is it normal or acceptable that it shows only 11 seeds in my μTorrent window and that I am connected to none of the 11 seeders (or for that matter any of the other hundreds)? The site also shows it is a healthy torrent.

The port is forwarded as it has been tested and μTorrent shows the green sign. Please advise.

Yes, pretty much -- and using up your upload speed while it's running!

If you have a torrent you're not sure about...and you've already uploaded a LOT on it...reduce the upload slots on it to 1 and upload speed to 1 KiloBYTE/sec. And even put the priority on it to LOW if you want. That way, it can idle away until it either finishes or you get sick of it.

Chances are, if it's a very new torrent with a slow seed then it will slowly increase in availability...but if it's a fake, it will likely stay "dead" forever!

Archived