All my torrents tasks disappeared after an incorrect pc stop !

Thunder

I honestly thought a system restore would help.

After that big blackout a few years ago, rushed out and got a apc ups pronto. Course my jazz and imation drives were never the same, but hey live and learn.

You know Thunder (XP like me) and Dark Zeta (Vista) had the same problem I wonder if it's a microsoft conflict, maybe a recent update or something. If that's the case maybe it might hit everyone (MS users) sooner or later.

I should invest in a linux box.

Well actually I haven't, because I don't believe utorrent was the cause. As for malware and adware it's always a possibility, but I've always felt confident with ad aware spybot and spyware blaster not to mention trend micro's adware cleaner included in the their suite. (I am aware of trend micro's fix it conflicts I just set the virus scanner to passive and use my other av programs) I'm inclined to believe it's time to spend money I don't have. I'm running a lot of crap on 512 mb of ram. I spent my money on drive space. D'oh!

AHHH! yes, drive space vs ram resources. That's a dilemma, but a more pressing one if you're into well... gaming or Vista is RAM vs. video card. 1 gig of RAM is pretty standard these days, so yes I think that's a bit behind, but to use most games made in the last 3 years you need a 256 MB vidcard at minimum :/ It's a shame the rendering engines don't scale down as well as they scale up. DirectX 10 is supposed to help fix that, and given the recent new years festivities I can say firsthand the game World in Conflict does utilize downscaling without loss of gameplay. Sure a slower vide card or RAM or computer will put you at a disadvantage loadtime wise, but online there are settings to keep that from taking place.

You may get lucky if your motherboard supports the current DDR2 RAM, however if it only works with DDR or SDRAM, then you really are better off saving up for a bit and buying a new mobo, which probably comes with more onboard video ram and a better videocard than the one you are replacing, as well as being able to scale it up considerably more for longer (unless development cycle time for DDR3 lessens some).

All hail the infinite cycle of upgrading!!

Can I ask how much RAM the windows task manager says is being used by uTorrent? It is possible also with your limited RAM you may want to go through msconfig, and your services.msc to turn off unnecessary / extra processes.

In the How-To it mentions HiJackThis. That coupled with information gleaned from task manager may help you uninstall extra processes/services you don't need and are using up the vital and valuable resources.

The usage is 24168 k at peak 31208. I think I've done all the tweaking that will help not to mention running process tamer. My only mem hog is Firefox. But this is just my system. This doesn't explain the problem with Dark Zeta's or Thunders which both had a stop on their systems. My system is a little creaky but surely a Vista system (I think the min is 1 gig of memory) would be handle any problem. That's why I wonder if it's something else (MICROSOFT) and that Utorrent was just a victim. Especially since all the incidents happened roughly around the same time (within a month or two), but then again Utorrent was the only thing that was affected. I've run it for a few years with the same set up, no problem. ... ??? I just don't know.

Well if the error message is a blue screen.. it may be traceable back to memory hogging drivers. If not, it could be your stable box may have accumulated windows bloat :/ I actually went all through 2007 without reinstalling windows on any of my computers, which surprised the hell outta me and my LAN party buddies.

Can you go back to the How-To (I'm sorry but my post about step-by-step seems to be AWOL at the moment) and look for process explorer -- to be found @ sysinternals.com. It will allow you to see your process tree, as well as when you press Ctrl-L the lower pane of descriptions of what's actually in the processes loaded. The default is DLL mode, which shows whats actually loaded into the process. If you'd click on utorrent.exe & press Ctrl-A it will save the list of DLLs to disk, you can copy-paste that into a post below. Also when you double click any process in there it will popup a statistics box. Going to the second tab will show you process vitals. The 3rd tab shows current resource usage.

I don't think it will help your problem, but if you are interested in seeing where some un-accounted for resources go, Procexp is a nice tool. Be sure to close procexp.exe after you are done looking... it tends to bloat up over time, and it only takes a few seconds to re-load it if you want to verify bloating of other processes as seen from Windows Task Manager.

Neat, thanks for the advice. But I think I'm looking for something in common with the other two posts, Thunder (XP) and Dark Zeta's (Vista system). And the only common factors I see are UTorrent and Microsoft, irregardless of bloat, memory and system age.

Archived